Black Lives Matter - Action and Equality. ... Adafruit joins the Stop Hate for Profit campaign.

ideas for beginner projects.
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

ideas for beginner projects.

by ignition on Sun May 11, 2008 3:41 pm

i plan on diving into the wide world of arduino soon, probably with a starter pack from adafruit. i want to know what is a good beginner project, besides the "hello world!" of microcontrollers, the blinking LED.
thanks in advance for all info.
--iggy
everyone you meet knows something you don't; learn from them.
ignition

by franklin97355 on Sun May 11, 2008 3:48 pm

The project should come from you. That's why you bought the thing, so you could do things electronic. What is it you would like to try and then we here can help you acomplish it. (well maybe if you were to want a device that transforms into a robot from an earth satallite and can rule the world we may have some trouble... :D )

franklin97355

by mtbf0 on Sun May 11, 2008 4:01 pm

two blinking leds. fading led. photocells. switches. color mixing with an rgb led.

radioshack carries an rgb led these days, as well as rfid kits and dual axis accelerometers.

one of the most interesting and rewarding things you can do is to get hold of the atmega168 datasheet and start diddling the hardware without benefit of the, (ultimately limiting), arduino libraries.
mtbf0

by ignition on Sun May 11, 2008 4:11 pm

i've got a few ideas in mind, but they'll be much more complicated than i'll be able to accomplish with little to no experience. i just need beginner stuff to build up basically.
--iggy
ignition

by robung on Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:36 am

Think simple first and go from there. I started with some push buttons and LEDS (it would count the number of times the refrigerator door was opened in a 24 hour period). I added a 4 line LCD display (it chastized you for opening the door too many times). After that, my Arduino was the core of a control panel for my son's rocket he built (cardboard boxes, duct tape, and tin foil). It had a launch button, a landing button, flashing lights and the message LCD. He thinks I am "the coolest papa"....
robung

by magician13134 on Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:45 am

http://www.ladyada.net/learn/arduino/
Those will get you started, they start VERY easy, just installing your Arduino, then work their way up.

A neat little project to start is an RGB fading light. I believe the Starter Pack here comes with all of the stuff you need to make that. A red, a green, and a blue LED, they fade from one to another, and use a potentiometer to control the fade speed.

After that, if you can't think of ideas, www.arduino.cc has plenty of project ideas, many have source code, but try to do it yourself first before looking, you'll learn a lot more that way

Or.... Speaking of refrigerators, build a device to see if the light really DOES go off or not when the door closes :wink:
magician13134

by ignition on Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:04 pm

well, i discovered what i want to do with it, for now, until my next project that is the reason for which i bought the arduino, for now, i'm tinkering around with speakers and potentiometers to change frequencies and whatnot, its rather neat, but i'm not much of a programmer, so i'm having trouble making 2 separate actions happen simultaneously. can anybody help me out?
--iggy
ignition

by nart_schinakow on Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:15 am

amm i think you need to know some basic electronics ! like download from the internet circuits and electronics books try to read and understand ! basic topics like ohms low, inductance, capacitances, transistors , diodes ... then you could begin easily interfacing the arduino with it's outer enviroment .! good luck
nart_schinakow

by ignition on Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:49 pm

actually, it wasn't a circuit problem, it was a problem with my code, used the wrong variable in the wrong spot. thanks though.
--iggy
ignition

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.