Troubleshooting no sound from Halloween Pumpkin project

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
cr2n

Troubleshooting no sound from Halloween Pumpkin project

Post by cr2n »

Hello,
I do not have any sound coming out of the wave shield from the Halloween Pumpkin project, I just built. The UNO Serial Monitor indicates the file is playing. I confirmed the file plays in Windows media player (it is one of the wavs from the project).

The only thing I know that went wrong in my build is my wave shield kit was missing the audio jack so I did not install this. However, from the project build photo here, I see that the speaker is connected to behind the audio jack.

I soldered two header pins in that spot (where the white wires from the speaker attach to the board in the above photo) and connected my speaker to the board using pigtail connector. I have also tried reversing the pigtail connection at the header pin -no sound.

Does the audio jack need to be installed for the speaker to work? If not, I appreciate any suggestions what more to do to troubleshoot.

Franklin97355

Re: Troubleshooting no sound from Halloween Pumpkin project

Post by Franklin97355 »

Could you post clear, detailed pictures of both sides of your board showing any soldering you have done and the connections to it? What are the specs on the speaker you are using?

cr2n

Post by cr2n »

Thank you for responding.
The speaker is a 3", 8 Ohm, 1 Watt speaker from adafruit

Below are links to the images of my wave shield soldering. Each image is about 2MB.

TOPSIDE of Wave Shield
http://gpvm.com/img/waveshield/IMG_1285.jpg - side where audio connects
http://gpvm.com/img/waveshield/IMG_1286.jpg - end of the shield
http://gpvm.com/img/waveshield/IMG_1287.jpg - side showing jumper wiring
http://gpvm.com/img/waveshield/IMG_1288.jpg - showing the SD card connection

UNDERSIDE of Wave Shield
http://gpvm.com/img/waveshield/IMG_1289.jpg - general pin connections
http://gpvm.com/img/waveshield/IMG_1290.jpg - the flywheel connections
http://gpvm.com/img/waveshield/IMG_1291.jpg - where the audio jack should be added (when I receive it)

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

According to this schematic you would need to short across pins 2 and 3 of the jack for sound. Please email [email protected] with a link to this thread for a replacement headphone jack.

cr2n

Post by cr2n »

Thank you for your help!
I was able to short the wave shield board between holes 2 & 3 (located at top right of your schematic image) and get sound. And support has already put my missing part in the mail. Thank you thank you thank thank you.

If anyone is interested, holes 2 & 3 of the speaker jack are located at the edge of the wave shield board- located at the bottom right of the image link in my previous post for IMG_1291.JPG.

jims123

Post by jims123 »

IMG_1331.JPG
IMG_1331.JPG (137.2 KiB) Viewed 898 times
I'm having a similar issue. No Sound out of a WaveShield V1.1 .. I have a normal display in the MONITOR log as it plays each .wav file and with an o-scope and can see what appears to look like good audio at signal C8 the .01uf axial capacitor.. +5 and +3.3 Vcc are Ok but all is a near zero Vpp signal near GND and flat lined after that.

I checked continuity across the 10K Pot and thru the wiper to Pins 3 and 5 of IC3A& IC3B and that looks Ok as do VCC and GND at Pins 8 and 4 respectively but there is no audio signal at any other audio Pin on IC3 nor at C9+ or (-) the output. I do not have a speaker wired yet but have tried a couple different iPhone headphones with no audio aside from an occasional pop as I move the card on the end of the USB cable. not even as I first switch the Potentiometer ON.

Any tips would be appreciated .. there are only a few days left to Halloween and I really would appreciate some support/ Help. I can send Photos .. the Audio and other chips are soldered Ok but I have no idea why I'm losing the audio input ( and output ) from IC3.. The input pins 3 and 5 of IC3 when read to GND go from 1 ohm to 9.91 K ohms as I adjust it from OFF then across the range so they are not shorted yet no audio signal is on them so it can't amplify.

I also checked continuity of the audio path from IC2 pin8 to IC3 pins 3 and 5 inputs and see the resistance vary from about 1.6k to nearly 10k as expected. so since the audio level I see at the top of C8 (+) is I believe good at about 300mVpp I have no clue why it's failing to get thru the potentiometer to the amp input at IC2 pins 3 & 5 since there is no signal there it's odd ..
Attachments
IMG_1330.JPG
IMG_1330.JPG (96.96 KiB) Viewed 898 times
IMG_1326.JPG
IMG_1326.JPG (141.77 KiB) Viewed 898 times

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

It sounds like the op amp is dead. What actual voltage do you see at the positive input pins #3 and #5?

jims123

Post by jims123 »

Mike, thank you so much for the reply.. I wasn't sure if you'd reply over a weekend.. or if you would see this since it's not a new thread/topic here.. The voltage at these IC3 opamp input pins 3&5 is only 440mVpp.. it's simply noise/ hash riding on GND very slightly above and below zero Volts. Yet i Don't believe it's shorted to GND since I see 1.6 to 9.9 KOhms to continuity to Ground there depending on the wiper position. Can you tell me what the typical range of Vpp and Vdc levels at pins 3& 5 as well as the output pins of the opamp should be while playing the daphc script ?

The other thing I noticed is that on the input side, at the C8 CAP (+) the audio signal looks normal and is a healthy 1.8 Vpp max waveform riding on about 1.2 Vdc there and it looks fine to me. I would think that if IC3 were bad and say shorted internally that it would read a short to GND at Pins 3&5 but what do I know.. all I know is there are very few days left till Halloween.. I have a spare IC3 since I was going to piggy back another chip per the application notes later. What should I do next please .. should I swap out IC3?
Attachments
IMG_1337.JPG
IMG_1337.JPG (82.89 KiB) Viewed 867 times
IMG_1336.JPG
IMG_1336.JPG (58.42 KiB) Viewed 867 times
IMG_1334.JPG
IMG_1334.JPG (93.29 KiB) Viewed 867 times

jims123

Post by jims123 »

Mike,
Since assumed you would say yes to my prio question on if I should change it.... I had to cut IC3 out and then rechecked the level at its open input pins 3&5 and it was still grounded, as the audio was playing from the DAC in IC2 yet with the shield disconnected from the UNO it wasn't grounded...the continuity an resistances thru the Potentiometer and ground were fine but as I went to sandwich the two cards together I noticed that the wiper pin of the pot was shorting out against the top edge of the USB connector right below it when fully seated .. so I fixed that by cutting the pot leads and taping over them put a IC3 chip back and it works fine now .. only problem I have is the audio is too low with the 8 ohm speaker from AdaFruit.. so I piggy backed a second op-amp of the same type and find its still too low ( tho its PLEANTY loud an clear in iPhone earpods) so I think I need to recheck the soldering especially on the jack side of the chip since it might not be soldered properly.. Very hard to do this soldering after the 1st chip is soldered down and is in place.. I definitely wish i had put a socket in but didn't have a 8 pin socket now that Radio Shack is closed.. if this piggy backed opamp doesn't work I can find a powered speaker some where.. Thanks.. JImS

adafruit_support_mike

You might want to add an external amplifier. We have class-D amps that will put out plenty of sound:

https://www.adafruit.com/?q=class-d

jims123

Post by jims123 »

Mike,
I just realized that Halloween is NEXT month.. all this time I'd thought it was THIS month of Sept LoL so I have time and plan to order this Adafruit Mono 2.5W Class D Audio Amplifier - PAM8302 Adafruit Mono 2.5W Class D Audio Amplifier - PAM8302
PRODUCT ID: 2130 if you can help me confirm that all I need is a pair of wires to connect the audio between the cards.. and the +5dvc Power to it.. my question is should I use the speaker OUT pair terminals from the waveshield card to feed the new Amp's input .. or use the 3.5mm Phone jacks output?

BTW I might use a 7.2 or 11.5 VDC Lipo (with a 5VDc BEC regulator) or a Lipo Backup Battery to 2.1 amp USB to power the UNO and WaveShield combo via the USB jack.. which will would work with the std Adafruit 8 ohm speaker I have and give it more audible volume out? can the 5Vdc from the Waveshield card feed this new amp at the same time if I wire its +5vdc across to the card?

adafruit_support_mike

jims123 wrote:if you can help me confirm that all I need is a pair of wires to connect the audio between the cards
Yep.
jims123 wrote:should I use the speaker OUT pair terminals from the waveshield card to feed the new Amp's input .. or use the 3.5mm Phone jacks output?
They're wired together on the PCB, so it's mostly a matter of taste. If you want to solder the connection, the OUT holes will probably be more convenient. If you want to make the PAM8302 more portable by connecting an audio jack, you can do that too.

To find the voltage required to hit a given power level, you use the formula V^2=PR. In this case, you have a 2.5W amp and an 8 ohm speaker, so the voltage would be just below 4.5v. A 5v power supply would suit that arrangement nicely.

The equivalent formula for current is I^2=P/R, and comes out around 560mA for the same system.

jims123

Post by jims123 »

Excellent .. thank you .. regards JimS

jims123

Post by jims123 »

Mike, I think I'm almost done, the WaveShield and new add-on speaker amp sound like they are now working fine. The LEDs are wired and blinking fine as is the WaveShield hardware but I'm not sure why the Pumkin sits idle most of the time. The distance sensor is reporting a limited range of values from about 23 to 185 max. Most of the time it only plays the "Happy Halloween" wav. I've tried to bump up this distance sensor value from the sonar by adding a range of simple constant values to what is read from analog(0) but it just plays a different set of two or three saved wave files instead of what I'd like it to do which is play all the different wave files depending on the distance and do so much more frequently when objects are close. As I change distsensor to adjust the distance value the eyes do blink with the sounds and animate ok but they only only blink about once every 45 seconds ..I do not know how to do this step: "mess with the values a bit... " or how to adjust the randomness.. more importantly why I don't see distsensor display what I'm guessing is a normal range of values from about 50 to 500. .. I think page 31 shows a photo depicting a green jumper wire tapped on the 1.5k Resistor end near the op amp wired to the A1 input correct? I made that connection.. do you think this is this a h/w issue? Or can I fixit in s/w? I'm thinking that I might need to move the jumper so A(1) is seeing the output of the op amp.. not the input to it. The sensor is I believe the one recommended Maxbotix Ultrasonic Rangefinder - LV-EZ1 - LV-EZ1 PID: 172 perhaps its defective, what was the purpose of lines 89 to 97 in the sketch code ..I re-added it temporarily but then the thing stopped with no errors,. I think it's wired correctly. please take a look at the sens.text file attached.. does it look normal?
Attachments
sens.txt
(5.47 KiB) Downloaded 80 times
connect 2.JPG
connect 2.JPG (146.9 KiB) Viewed 765 times
Sonar.jpg
Sonar.jpg (127.28 KiB) Viewed 765 times

adafruit_support_mike

Add a Serial.print() line to display the value of the variable 'distsensor'. That value should change depending on the proximity of the object the sensor sees. Once you know the range of values for the distances you want, you can modify the values in the lines like these accordingly:

Code: Select all

} else if ((distsensor > 300) && (distsensor < 400)) {
The code that controls how often the Wave Shield plays sounds is in the last two lines of this chunk:

Code: Select all

if (distsensor > 500) {
     digitalWrite(eyeleds, LOW);  
     pumpkinstate = 1;

// nobody there. one out of 200 times play one of the scary sounds (once every few minutes)
     i = random(200);
     if (i == 0) {
The line 'i=random(200)' selects a random value from 0 to 199. The number 0 will occur 1 time in 200, so sounds will play about once every 200 passes through the loop. To make sounds play more often, use a number smaller than 200.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”