📬❄️📦Adafruit Holiday Shipping Deadlines 2019: Please place all UPS 3 Day orders by 11am ET Friday December 13 📬❄️📦

POV Display with Accelerometer
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

POV Display with Accelerometer

by paramaggarwal on Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:17 am

In this project I have fixed an accelerometer to a 10-segment display (it has 10 green LEDs put into a single component) and used an Arduino to control it.

So there you have it. As you wave it, it senses this motion and switches ON the display. And one another benefit that I was really looking for is that it writes only from left to right. I mean when you wave your hand it goes left to right to left. Right? My old AccPOV was amateur enough to keep displaying text all the time left to right and back too. So that has been eliminated. And its so cool now!

I am calling it the AccPOV that is a accelerometer based Persistence of Vision Display. I really liked this idea of an Accelerometer that I got though it is commonly available on the net. Code attached. You need Arduino software to compile it.

The Blue Board is the Arduino Decimelia. It programs and takes power from the USB(the grey wire).

The General Purpose PCB is a shield; which is the word used for attachment boards created for the Arduino.

I have mounted the display on that.

Then the tiny green PCB on the side is the Accelerometer Board. So thats it. Took one and half day to materialize.

Next I plan to use RGB LEDs to be able to see 6 colors!! So that should be fun!

Thanks for Reading!! I know it all sounds too formal, as if I am selling something. But it is just a discussion. A concept.

In case you don't get the heck what I am talking about read this: This project uses Persistence of Vision. So I can use just 8 LEDs (Yes, I am just using 8 of them. ) to display text. Now as you wave it in the air, the 8 LEDs quickly change states to appear as if something is written in the air. It gives superb effect in the dark. For effect in the daylight I need very bright LEDs. So as simple as that. Just wave and read.

You can mail me at paramaggarwal@gmail.com for criticism and comments.

Accelerometer:

Three axis accelerometer from Freescale that gives analog voltage proportional to acceleration. You measure that voltage using a micro controller and you get acceleration!

Controller Board:

Arduinos are so easy!! More info about them at arduino.cc. It is based on the ATMEGA168 with bootloader.

Have a look at sparkfun.com for some great electronics tutorials.

Arduino Code: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3134506/POV-display-accelecrometer-code.c
Last edited by paramaggarwal on Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:49 am, edited 7 times in total.
Param Aggarwal

paramaggarwal

Re: MiniPOV with Accelerometer !!

by macegr on Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:35 am

paramaggarwal wrote:I am calling it the AccPOV that is a accelerometer based Persistence
of Vision Display. Idea of Accelerometer was completely mine, and I
haven't found it on the net. Code in C++ attached. You need Arduino
Software to compile it.

If you google for |accelerometer "persistence of vision"| there are actually a number of examples...one that I did in 2006 shows up on the first page. But anyway, great implementation and documentation!

There was supposedly a phone a while ago that had a row of LEDs on the back, an accelerometer, and you could type in a short message to show on the back, like someone's name so they can find you in a dark club, or your phone number.
macegr

Re:

by paramaggarwal on Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:10 am

@macegr,

Sorry. Yes there are lots of examples on the internet.

But what i meant was that I got the idea myself. And I DO NOT want to say that I am the first one to do this. Just that it is not a clone of something. I got an idea and I implemented it. Thats it.

Anyways these days its difficult to do something that someone else has not done.

Anyways I have updated my post to reflect the changes...
Param Aggarwal

paramaggarwal

Re: MiniPOV with Accelerometer !!

by paramaggarwal on Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:24 am

The pictures have now been updated thanks to request by 'Joe L' of HacknMod.com
Param Aggarwal

paramaggarwal

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.