Computer won't detect Arduino Uno

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jitterskitters

Computer won't detect Arduino Uno

Post by jitterskitters »

Hello,
I am using an Arduino Uno that I just received today. When I first plugged it in, I was able to download and install all of the necessary drivers and such to run and program the board, and I uploaded a sample sketch from a tutorial. As I was testing the sketch, I noticed that the board would heat up quite a bit. I was powering an LED strip, and I did not expect it to heat that rapidly. Once I realized that, I immediately unplugged the board from the power source and let it cool. I then tried to reconnect the Arduino to my computer (running Windows 7) and the computer would not recognize the device at all. However, the ON light was green indicating that the board was receiving power, but the USB port was just not communicating with the rest of the board I guess. Occasionally after disconnecting and reconnecting I would hear a sound from the computer, but it was the sound of something being disconnected. It does not show up as an "unidentified device" nor does it show up in Device Manager. So far i have tried multiple different cables, multiple different computers (running Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and a Mac running Yosemite), and I have tried reinstalling the arduino environment a few times, with no luck.

I am wondering if this was a faulty arduino board, or if there is a workaround. I have reviewed a lot of forum questions and many say that the board may have been fried, which scares the heck out of me. I am certain that I didn't give the board anything it couldn't handle, and it was all wired in accordance to an adafruit tutorial on LED strips. I purchased this to make a Christmas gift for my friend, and I really would not want to have to purchase a whole new arduino! If anyone can give me any guidance, it would be greatly appreciated!

adafruit2

Re: Computer won't detect Arduino Uno

Post by adafruit2 »

first up, give it a half hour before re-plugging, there's a fuse that has to cool down if tripped

second, can you show how exactly what LED strips, what sample sketch, and how you wired them?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”