Is my Arduino fried?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Is my Arduino fried?

by llamawoot on Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:27 pm

Hey everyone.

I've been working on a servo powered robot recently. Last week, when all of my parts arrived and my chassis was assembled I set all the pieces on the chassis but didn't mount them in anyway. In the testing that followed my Arduino shorted out on a chassis screw. I'm not sure how many times or how long it occurred.

Since then, when trying to run my two servos (using ServoTimer1 library) I get all sorts of strange behaviors. Its like signals to the two of them are getting mixed. Sometimes it won't power them at all, I can't get either servo to stop, etc.

Do you think this is a case of me destroying the ATMEGA128 by shorting it out or is there something else I should look at?

Thanks!

llamawoot

Re: Is my Arduino fried?

by coffeeandsparks on Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:26 pm

reflash and if no com then

osilliscope time
or meter
check power reg circuit
coffeeandsparks

Re: Is my Arduino fried?

by grinan on Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:09 pm

The first thing is .. what kind of power source(s) are you using?

I have had that kind of behavior in several bots using the arduino and ladyada's motorshield. I can tell you that if you are running from small batteries, or a 9 volt battery, that could be causing some of your issues.

If you have a couple of motor h bridges around, swap them out, and that other chip too.. ( can't remember what it is off the top of my head).
grinan

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.