which ardunio?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

which ardunio?

by spikeyhair on Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:07 pm

Hi,

I have a normal usb arduino connected to a max485 chip and can succesfully control my dmx light.

I want to make this into a finished product so i was thinking about using one of the arduino pro mini boards or sparkfuns wee or skinny to do it. However I noticed that the mini boards use 3.3v and a 8Mhz clock. Will this affect the serial timings and will the voltage be enough to drive the max485 chip?

Hope someone can help,

Tom.

spikeyhair

Re: which ardunio?

by franklin97355 on Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:27 pm

You can make it work by throwing enough extra parts at it. If you showed us your circuit we might be able to tell you what you need.

franklin97355

by adafruit on Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:19 pm

sparkfun also has their own tech support forums...might want to post there if you are trying to use their products

adafruit

by westfw on Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:38 pm

There's also Adafruit's BoArduino, and MDC's "really bare bones board." I think I like them better than the sparkfun boards, unless you need shield compatibility.

If you're going to lay out a full PCB for your product, you can just put whichever arduino components you need on it, without worrying at all about "board-level" units. Start with one of the eagle downloads, strip off the components you don't need, add your max485 and whatever, reshape the outline and you should be well on your way.
westfw

by spikeyhair on Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:57 am

franklin97355 wrote:You can make it work by throwing enough extra parts at it. If you showed us your circuit we might be able to tell you what you need.

Here is the circuit which i got off the arduino playground:

So who ever designed the boduino could add this on the board and then i could solder it up. I would design it and have it made myself but i dont know how to.

spikeyhair

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.