Low Flow Peristaltic Pump
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Low Flow Peristaltic Pump

by bobsally on Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:28 pm

I was interested in buying product 1150. the peristaltic pump with silicon tubing. However I wanted to be able to use this at a flow rate of 1- 2 psi with some control. Would this pump work at this rate? Also, what else would I need to in addition to the pump, to be able to control the motor, etc.

bobsally

Re: Low Flow Peristaltic Pump

by wjwieland on Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:22 pm

The flow rate is measured in ml/Min, where-as you are asking about a unit of pressure (pounds/sq/inch.
Are you asking about pressure or flow?

Pressure is going to be a function of the volume of fluid, the smallest diameter of the tube or nozzle or whatever, and the speed/power of the motor. If pressure is what you are after, then simply select a nozzle that restricts your flow, and then use the motor speed to adjust as required to achieve pressure.

If very low flow is what you are after on the other hand, you can use the same setup as above, or skip the restriction to flow, (nozzle). If this is the case, then all you have to worry about is your motor speed. Just correlate between what volume comes out of the pump at a give speed.

wjwieland

by bobsally on Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:00 pm

Yes, I meant to write mL/min for the units. To control the motor speed will i also need to purchase item 807, the dual H-bridge motor driver?

bobsally

by adafruit_support_bill on Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:13 pm

The L293D H-bridge will drive the motor. We also have an Arduino Motor Shield or a Motor Hat for the Raspberry Pi.

1-2 mL/min may be tough to achieve. Brushed DC motors are hard to control precisely at low speeds. Do you need continuous flow at that rate? You may have better luck driving it in short bursts.

adafruit_support_bill

by bobsally on Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:22 pm

Yes, I was hoping to be able to have continuous flow.

bobsally

by adafruit_support_bill on Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:44 pm

You can reduce the flow somewhat by switching to a tubing with a smaller ID. But that only goes so far. At some point the wall thickness prevents effective pumping.

adafruit_support_bill

by tsb23 on Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:53 am

Hi,

I am trying to reduce the diameter of the tubing in my pump. I want to insert a 1mm ID tube but the OD is now too small to fit the pump, I read somewhere about sleeves? That help bridge this difference between the OD's?
Thank you

tsb23

by adafruit_support_bill on Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:32 am

You could use a sleeve made of a larger diameter tubing slid over your 1mm ID tubing. But the combined wall thickness may be too much for the pump to work effectively.

adafruit_support_bill

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.