📬❄️📦Adafruit Holiday Shipping Deadlines 2019: Please place all UPS 3 Day orders by 11am ET Friday December 13 📬❄️📦

Shopping list help?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Shopping list help?

by bridges_pdp on Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:09 pm

Hi,

My name is Scott. I'm a high school science teacher in Port-de-Paix, Haiti. I have a budding interest in microcontrollers and I'm looking at getting an Arduino and perhaps a couple of other things to go with it. My difficulty has primarily to do with ordering and receiving. I have a PO box in Ft. banned that forwards to me here. It takes 2-3 weeks and I have to pay again on my end to receive any packages. So, I can order things but it isn't too convenient, quick or cheap so...

What should I start with?

I was thinking of an Arduino, protoshield, and ethershield or an Arduino, protoshield and an LCD. I don't have an exact project in mind, I just wanted to pick a couple of things to learn with, perhaps I should add a temp sensor.

I'm planning to visit my family in Missouri over Christmas, so I could add parts around that time.

If you could only pick an Arduino and a handful of 'extras' to start out with and wouldn't be able to buy any other goodies until Christmas, what items would make it onto your shopping list and why?

Thanks everyone. I have a hard time keeping my IT skills up these days, but I love to learn. The Arduino seems like a good place to start and so I really appreciate your thoughts.

Scott

bridges_pdp

Re: Shopping list help?

by franklin97355 on Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:40 pm

I'd get the LCD over the ethershield as a starting point. If you find you can't get along without it then get it at christmas. Your first task should be reading the tutorials and projects so you have a base knowledge of the device. If you plan to build something in particular the first step is to lay out a plan, figure out exactly what you want, expect, and how you want it to happen then figure out what parts you need and lastly what processor/controller will do the things you need.

franklin97355

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.