help: Mapping GPS data from logger

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Dlome

help: Mapping GPS data from logger

Post by Dlome »

I recently put together an Uno + GPS/SD data logger project together using the adafruit shield and library and had a few questions. I am still researching myself but want to start fishing on the forums as well.

A little background for why I am doing this project is I enjoy going out on the weekends and riding my motorcycle on some twisties in the forest roads and mountains post pictures from either stops along the ride or from my gopro and thought it would be a cool addition to throw up a google maps map of the ride. Also I can never remember the roads I ride so it will double as a plan for the next ride if they were fun AND I can see skill progress by checking my speed in the corners ^-^.

The logger works fantastic, grabs the satellites quickly and proceeds to fill my sd card with all the correct data. I need to look at the code again but how does the logger store the longitude and latitude? degrees or degrees.minutes.seconds. And how can I then parse this into the correct format to use on a site like gpsvisualizer.com to add the waypoints and create a neat map.

Any help/advice/"hey dumbass its in the comments" pointers would be helpful. If I end up solving my own question I try to remember to respond for others to hopefully benefit from.

Thanks,
Derek

adafruit_support_mike

Re: help: Mapping GPS data from logger

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

The GPS module reports its position in degrees-minutes-decimalMinutes form. The sequence goes 4259.9999, 4300.0000, 4300.0001, and there's no such thing as 4260.0000.

Our GPS tutorial has more information: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-ult ... ter-wiring

Dlome

Post by Dlome »

Thanks for pointing that out, with that I was able to put together an excel spreadsheet that can do the conversion using the raw data. Once it is finalized I will gladly post the spreadsheet for other people to use or tweak to fit their needs. Its super simple to make but is always nice when there is a working one already put together.

Also to note, my test data was 90 miles and 4914 points and when masked over google maps using gpsvisualizer.com it was dead on so I am very happy with the project and the out of the box accuracy.

BeteNoire

Post by BeteNoire »

This is an old thread, but hopefully I can get some help. I want to build a similar tracking device and then map. I only just begun. I would like the track on the map to be colorized based upon speed. Do you know if this is possible? Like you, I want to be able to see my path and evaluate speed levels.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”