📬❄️📦Adafruit Holiday Shipping Deadlines 2019: Please place all UPS 3 Day orders by 11am ET Friday December 13 📬❄️📦

Learning the Arduino...without an Arduino.
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Learning the Arduino...without an Arduino.

by ruffus on Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:15 pm

My Arduino was supposed to arrive today from AdaFruit, but FedEx updated my shipping info and pushed my arrival date to Monday. Jerks. So, there goes my plans to have an all out Arduino immersion weekend.

Is there any sort of emulator or something that I can use to start learning to program this weekend without having the physical board in hand? I downloaded the IDE, but I'm not sure where to start...
ruffus

Re: Learning the Arduino...without an Arduino.

by tek1229 on Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:35 pm

You could play with processing.. you can download arduino right now and look at some of the examples given.. The ones that interact with the computer use processing as the interface on the computer.. the arduino language is based off of it with small differences.. It'd get you started and get into the rythm.. Don't know of an emulator for the actual arduino though.. Depending on what your planning with the arduino, some practice with processing would be good.. I know it's not the greatest answer, but it'd beat boredom..
tek1229

by ruffus on Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:40 pm

tek1229 wrote:You could play with processing..

I'm a bit confused on the different languages...I downloaded the Arduino IDE from arduino.cc, but then you mention Processing (http://processing.org/) and then I've also read about Wiring (http://www.wiring.org.co/index.html)...

Which is the actual language used to program the Arduino? Is Processing the language used to program inside the Arduino IDE?
ruffus

by mtbf0 on Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:08 pm

ruffus wrote:Which is the actual language used to program the Arduino? Is Processing the language used to program inside the Arduino IDE?

you program the arduino in c++. the arduino borrowed their ide from procressing. just as the arduino has a lot of helper functions layered onto c++, processing is pretty much just a bunch of java classes.
"i want to lead a dissipate existence, play scratchy records and enjoy my decline" - iggy pop, i need more
mtbf0

by ruffus on Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:21 pm

mtbf0 wrote:you program the arduino in c++. the arduino borrowed their ide from procressing. just as the arduino has a lot of helper functions layered onto c++, processing is pretty much just a bunch of java classes.

OK...now I think I may be even more confused...I'm programming C++ in the Arduino IDE which was borrowed from Processing....Why would it be helpful to download Processing then? Sounds like all I can really do is just read some of the online materials and then wait until Monday to start playing with the actual Arduino board...I can write some loops, etc. but it won't really do me much good with out hardware to drive...right?
ruffus

by MattieShoes on Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:27 am

Because processing is where you'll start writing code for the arduino. If you've programmed in any of the C-like languages before, it's pretty simple. int's are smaller than you'd find on a modern computer.
MattieShoes

by trialex on Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:41 pm

MattieShoes wrote:Because processing is where you'll start writing code for the arduino. If you've programmed in any of the C-like languages before, it's pretty simple. int's are smaller than you'd find on a modern computer.

That's a pretty confusing way of saying it.

I'd re-phrase it as something like

"
You can write similar code in processing as you will in the future in the arduino IDE. Using processing, you can write programs that will execute on the computer (as in you can see the results on the screen). The code you write in the arduino IDE can only run on the microcontroller hardware. You can't just copy and paste from processing into arduino (or the other way) however, you would need to translate and tailor you program
"
trialex

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.