Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Arduino Bluetooth Services - Hard Topic
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Arduino Bluetooth Services - Hard Topic

by ard10000 on Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:43 am

Hi,

the arduino bluetooth board has a bluegiga chip, the wt11.
Here you can find the details:

http://www.bluegiga.com/WT11_Class_1_Bluetooth_Module

Now, I use a j2me program that lists all services that device, in this case arduino bluetooth, has.
Result: only the SPP (Serial Port Profile) service found.
How is it possible?
I need the OBEX OPP. :cry:

In fact the OBEX OPP profile is supported! :oops:

Ideas?

Thanks
ard10000

Re: Arduino Bluetooth Services - Hard Topic

by ard10000 on Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:49 pm

:|
ard10000

by paulcarver on Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:48 pm

I'm quite new to Arduino, but how would that even work? What sort of object would you exchange with an Arduino? I don't know anything about the Bluetooth module, but when I saw that you could use Bluetooth with Arduino I pretty much assumed that it would be a wireless serial interface. I didn't really even give it any thought, it just seemed obvious that the purpose of Bluetooth would be to replace the serial or USB cable.

Does the Arduino have the capacity to manipulate audio or video data in any useful way?
paulcarver

by eil on Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:07 pm

I was kinda wondering the same thing myself but thought it might be a silly question. :P
eil

by ard10000 on Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:31 pm

I'd like to make a bluetooth access point. But I can't, because I found that arduino bluetooth support only the SPP (Serial Port Profile) not the OBEX FTP profile. So I can't transfert files.

:roll:
ard10000

by nospam2000 on Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:36 am

Hi,

ard10000 wrote:I'd like to make a bluetooth access point. But I can't, because I found that arduino bluetooth support only the SPP (Serial Port Profile) not the OBEX FTP profile. So I can't transfert files.

The Bluetooth capabilities depend on the firmware of the WT11 module. There are different firmwares available, the Arduino BT is shipped with the iWRAP one.

From the User Guide:
"New WRAP THOR firmware builds are called unified firmware (firmware versions 18.2 and
later). This means that the firmware contains both iWRAP firmware and RFCOMM and HCI
stacks. Selecting the active part is done by using PS keys and there is no need to reflash
the actual firmware as with older versions of iWRAP."

You can find the iWrap User Guide either on the manufacturer site http://www.bluegiga.com/techforum/, but it requires registration (with manual confirmation :( ) for the downloads. A google search for "WRAP THOR Bluetooth module equipped with iWRAP firmware" will give you exactly one hit on http://www.sparkfun.com.

Reading the documentation, you will find out, that the WT11 is very powerful and very complex. It has a firmware flash of 8MB and several GPIO pins.

To send own commands to the module, you need to reset the BT module to get it in command mode. You can use the [url]"Init_Bluetooth_Module" sketch[/url] as a starting point. Please refer also to this thread.

Be careful to not brick your Arduino by setting wrong parameters (e.g. baudrate) because the parameters are stored in the flash and a reset doesn´t help!

iWRAP 2.2.0 supports the following Bluetooth profiles on its own:
- GAP (Generic Access Profile)
- SDP (Service Discovery Protocol)
- RFCOMM
- SPP (Serial Port Profile)
- HFP (Hands Free Profile)
- HFP-AG (Hands Free Profile Audio Gateway)
- OPP (Object Push Profile (server))
- DUN (Dialup Networking)

These profiles have to be enabled and supported using your Arduino application.

You can also use several connections at the same time (I think up to 4) using the MUX mode.

The new version iWRAP3 supports even more profiles:
* Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP) / Sink and source modes
* A/V Remote Control Profile (AVRCP) / AVRCP controller
* Device Identification Profile (DI)
* Serial Port Profile (SPP) / DevA and DevB
* Hands-Free Profile (HFP) v.1.5 / HPF and HFP-AG modes
* Dial-up Networking Profile (DUN) / Terminal emulation
* Object Push Profile (OPP) / OPP server
* Human Interface Device (HID) / HID device

If anybody manages to get the iWRAP3 firmware and upgrade his Arduino BT, please let me know !!!

Michael
nospam2000

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.