Help with a input design I will pay $$ to the answer

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
felix991

Help with a input design I will pay $$ to the answer

Post by felix991 »

I am new to the Audrino gadgets but am a old time electronics/electrical and mechanical engineer. So I have been playing with a dozen or so Audrino boards of all makes as well as ordering several of the various sensor kits out there on the internet and I get most off of that. My code is rusty but I got most of them working to some degree os satisfaction. I then ran across your AdaFruit GSM shield and thought how handy would this be for my situation.

So I ordered two of your AdaFruit Fona 800 shields and after much reading, got them both up and running just fine on two Audrino UNO's. My tests so far are using the various sensors I have and tying them into the SMS feature so that I may 'text' a command or request to the Fona and get an answer or perform an action.

All is working better than expected. Much applause to your products. Now for the reason I started this project.

I am the property manager to a large medical complex that has two 500KVA backup Generators. It is vital that these work properly in the event of a power outage. My only problem is that I have little to no communications with them other than a annunciator panel that shows various engine stats. The closest I could find was the following.

Manufacturer: Caterpillar Inc.
Our Part Number: 24087036
Catalog Number: 240-8703 6

I think I attached a photo. First post here...

So my project is that I want to read the LED's and then transmit that condition via TEXT message to my or several phones.

Engine START
Engine STOP
Generator on LOAD
Low Fuel
Low Oil
Low Battery
Coolant fault

All of these and a few more are only available via a LED that lights up in corresponding place on the panel.

I want a way to read those LED conditions from the Audrino and then have it transmit SMS on conditions or tell me the status of the LED's if I request one.

All of this I already have working with my various sensors but for the life of me can not come up with a sound way to get these inputs the Generator. Without tearing the panel apart too much I have no idea the operating voltage or ground it may use. I would assume the voltage on the LED's is gonna be around 2-3 volts. So thats where I'm starting.

My ideas so far would be to attach a reed relay to each LED and hopefully have enough power to give me a on or off condition with the Arduino reading the open/close on the relay. Or and I hate this one, using a LUX sensor mounted directly next to the LED to read light output but I don't think that is a very reliable solution.

I would rather just tie the LED lead to the Audrino pin but I dont think the ground is going to be compatible or if I even want to. I'm trying to stay away from things that will affect their service and warranty. So this panel is about all I have to work with as it is remote inside the building electrical closet.

So if you have or sale or have ideas that are solid and that I use for this project. I will PayPal you your fee appropriately. I've already got several weeks into this and I'm running out of time with my boss for a solution.
Attachments
cat-panel.jpg
cat-panel.jpg (57.67 KiB) Viewed 358 times

Franklin97355

Re: Help with a input design I will pay $$ to the answer

Post by Franklin97355 »

Recommend you post up in the jobs board.https://www.adafruit.com/jobs/

felix991

Post by felix991 »

OK, let me rephrase the question. I am not looking for a job nor am I looking to hire someone. I am looking for a solution to an issue like everyone else is here posting in the Arduino or PI forms.

If your solution costs anything, from you "Adafruit" in one of your stores items I have not researched yet or someone else with a part that may do that I would pay for it. In other words I'm not expecting you send me some for free...

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

That's fine. I'm sure if some one has input they will post it here.

gilshultz

Post by gilshultz »

There are two easy solutions using opto couplers. If the circuit drives the LEDs through a resistor with a power supply of over 10 volts you can usually put the LED in the opto coupler in series, if not then you need to replace the existing LED with the LED in the opto coupler. You can then connect the emitters to ground and pull the collectors up with maybe a 10K resistor. Then connect the collectors to inputs on the Arduino, you will now have the status of the LEDs. I would suggest then adding replacement LEDs that are driven by the Arduino and anybody coming by would not know the difference. Doing it this the Arduino will be totally isolated from the power supply in the gensets. You can run the Arduino from a small isolated power supply.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”