Need help putting bootloader on ATmega168 on breadboard
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Need help putting bootloader on ATmega168 on breadboard

by ddawson on Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:51 pm

I got my USBtinyISP kit and built it on Friday. I believe it is working fine, very nice kit well layed out very progessional.

I built the Arduino Breadboard from the ITP Physical Computing Website http://itp.nyu.edu/physcomp/Tutorials/arduinoBreadboard with an ATMega168-20PU part. I built the USBTinyISP and tried to burn the bootloader (Arduino Diecimila) on the chip with the ARDUINO 0012 Alpha. It read the signature and then reported a verification failure. After that I get the "initialization failed, rc=-1" for ever and ever.

Repeated exactly the same sequence and symptoms with my second (backup) AVR.

After that even trying directly with AVRdude directly returns the same (initialization failed) message.

I have checked and rechecked the breadboard repeatedly and I can't find an error. It appears that the signature bits are recognized until the programming is attempted then nada. If I run "avrdud -c usbtiny -p m168 -F" it it says it gets all zeros for a signature and then it says "Yikes"

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
ddawson

Re: Need help putting bootloader on ATmega168 on breadboard

by ddawson on Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:40 pm

Never mind.

I found two errors and now it works fine. One was mine, the pullup on the reset pin was connected to GND not VCC. The second was the led on pin 19 with a 220 ohm current limit res seems to interfere with sck on the spi interface. Made the whole thing very flakey. All working fine now.
ddawson

Re: Need help putting bootloader on ATmega168 on breadboard

by westfw on Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:11 am

the led on pin 19 with a 220 ohm current limit res seems to interfere with sck

Ah yes; we noticed that when we did the freeduino board as well. Increase to 1k or more and it should be fine.
westfw

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.