Motor Shield and Blue fruitLE Conflicts

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
boycec

Motor Shield and Blue fruitLE Conflicts

Post by boycec »

I am trying to use both the Bluefruit LE and the Motor Shield v.1 at the same time in a project but I am having issues. I have an Arduino Uno with the BlueFruit LE on the stackable protoshield with the Motor Shield on top of that. I have a sketch that takes commands over bluetooth and fires up a stepper motor,via the AF_Motor library, based on those inputs.

If I run just the motor shield and use the serial monitor to set my commands the stepper motor behaves correctly. If I run just the BlueFruit on the protoshield I get the bluetooth commands just fine. If I stack everything up together I get the bluetooth commands and sketch tries to drive the motor with the correct parameters but the motor doesn't turn.

Is there something obvious I am missing?

In troubleshooting I see in the code where both the motor shield and bluefruit are using pin 12. The stepper motor library assigns it to a variable called MOTORLATCH and theBlueFruit is just using it as MISO. I took a shot at moving the MISO connection on the BlueFruit from pin 12 to pin 1 on the ICSP header but that didn't work. I am stuck and don't know what else to try.

Thanks

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Motor Shield and Blue fruitLE Conflicts

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

The MOSI pin on the ISP header is connected directly to pin #12.

If you have a v1.2 Motor Shield, there should be a row of holes parallel to the pin header that you can use to reroute signals. Cut the trace between pin #12 and the hole next to it, then run a jumper from the inner hole (still connected to the 74HC595) to one of the unused pins.

There's no inner row of holes on the v1.1 Motor Shield, so making that work would be harder. You'd still have to cut the trace, then would need to rewire the signal on the board.

boycec

Re: Motor Shield and Blue fruitLE Conflicts

Post by boycec »

Thanks and you have confirmed my suspicions that ICSP and pin 12 where tied together. I will try to beat the 1.1 Motor Shield into submission with your suggestion. If all else fails I guess there is my excuse to get the latest and greatest board.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”