Audio FX Sound Board Heat Issues

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
adafruit_support_mike

Re: Audio FX Sound Board Heat Issues

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

If it doesn't show up in the USB device tree, there's probably some kind of hardware problem. For the sake of building a casefile, could you post a photo showing your hardware and connections please? Let's make sure those are all good. 800x600 images usually work best.

samuelguyer

Post by samuelguyer »

I'll post a picture soon. In the meantime, I had another Audio FX board on hand, and this time I connected to the 5V power, as others have discussed, and it worked great!

I discussed the problem with a friend, and he suggested a possible explanation: 3.7V might be very close to the minimum for the board, so if there is a sudden drop in voltage (e.g., when another part of the circuit starts drawing power) the brownout protection on the Audio FX board kicks in and reboots it.

To counter this problem I used a buck converter that can put out 5V with a pretty wide range of voltage inputs. Now the board works a lot more reliably.

I'm not sure about the old board. It's possible that it was damaged by all the crazy voltage changes. I'm not sure.

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

That's a reasonable guess. Thing is, the VS1000 is a 3.3v chip.. its upper voltage limit is 3.6v.

I'm glad to hear that you found a setup that works though.

nude123

Post by nude123 »

Hallo,
first thx for the great designs and super documentation of you products!
I bought a adafruit audio fx sound board - wav/ogg trigger with 16mb flash board it works fine and the playback quality is very good, but i get some quite annoying feeps (like interference) when the board is idle. Is this normal?

xXJEGSSXx

Post by xXJEGSSXx »

After reading all of these posts it looks like voltage is an issue with this chip? I'm having the same issues whereas 5v, no matter what or where I supply it from, is making the board act erratically. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. Now it seems to have acquired an issue where file name T00.wav is automatically played in a loop. I can't solve this issue. None of the other pins activate, and when I delete the file T00.wav it just sits there idle. Green light on and no red LED function whatsoever. I need something more reliable than this.

Mikesmikes

Post by Mikesmikes »

I hope someone can help I have a similar issue ... (first time here so maybe someone can give the link of where I need to post.

I keep getting a poping sound all the time wjen no sound is playing ... its ok if it is playing a song or something and it looks like its tripping the battery when it keeps poping. I've had the same problem by someone I paid to make me a cosplay ghostbuster back pack ... he could not answer my question.
I have the exact same set up so I'm hoping to know the problem and cure both.
I have it attached to a 2.1a 5v power source, then going to a 4ohm speaker (I have tried different speakers but I believe its a set up issue or battery :/
Please see attached video for sound (ignore the reference asking for help from Gavin as he didn't know.
My sound board is adafruit with the built in 2w amp.
Kind regards
Michael Davies
Not sure how I can upload the video :(

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”