Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

AFSoftSerial improvement
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Re: AFSoftSerial improvement

by mtbf0 on Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:30 pm

of course, each board may have to be tuned individually depending on the accuracy of the clock. all of mine are boarduini and rbbb's wiith three pin resonators.

you can make any arduino run at 8MHz by programming the fuses to use the internal oscillator, (heh-heh. the least accurate clock source), then when you want it to zip along full speed, again, just reprogram for a high speed external clock. this assumes, of course, that you have an isp programmer with which to play around.
"i want to lead a dissipate existence, play scratchy records and enjoy my decline" - iggy pop, i need more
mtbf0

by mikalhart on Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:37 am

@ladyada,

You may be interested to learn that etracer (Arduino forum user) has identified an apparent compiler bug in Arduino 0012 and 0013 that was all but crippling AFSoftSerial (and NewSoftSerial) applications built on OSX (Mac). Upon entry into the interrupt service routine the compiler was not pushing all the registers that were subsequently destroyed. For some reason the behavior in Windows is correct, even though it is nominally the same compiler. etracer identified the problem with NewSoftSerial and provided a nice fix. See http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaB ... 3298805/30 if you want to retrofit this fix into AFSoftSerial.

Good night,

Mikal
mikalhart

by adafruit on Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:49 pm

argh!
what a nightmare. ive definately noticed people suddenly not being able to get stuff working with v13 on mac
-sigh-
i'll put a sticky there and also get around to fixing this up soon

adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.