LPD8806 Lights come on randomly and nothing more.

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
pcarff

LPD8806 Lights come on randomly and nothing more.

Post by pcarff »

Referencing https://learn.adafruit.com/digital-led-strip/overview and have followed things to the "T".

I am using the library from:
https://github.com/adafruit/LPD8806
Running the strandtest code.
I have a 5V 10A power supply for the LEDs.
I have loaded the code into Arduino Mega ADK.
When I apply power to the led strip I get random lights turned on but nothing else happens.
I am connected for INPUT on the C1/D1 end.
I have used three different arduino boards, I have change different pins and verified I have the Clock and Data pins correct.
Any ideas what I can do next?

pcarff

Re: LPD8806 Lights come on randomly and nothing more.

Post by pcarff »

Update, I removed the first segment and added new wires. Now I am getting things to work but only for the first 6 lights.
I think I have a bad roll.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: LPD8806 Lights come on randomly and nothing more.

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

We're getting into static electricity season, and the static charge that would make a spark at the doorknob can blow an LED driver's input circuit.

Check the rest of the strip using basic grounding procedures: Connect something conductive to the power supply's GND and touch that before touching the strip's data line. Connect the data signal to one end of a 100-ohm resistor and use the lead at the other end as a probe to connect the data signals further down the strip. Always keep the resistor between your skin and the strip.

If the strip is full of dead chips, we can replace it. If those precautions keep the rest of the strip operating normally, we'll have to call the ones that died ESD damage.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”