Black Lives Matter - Action and Equality. ... Adafruit joins the Stop Hate for Profit campaign.

apparent bug in pow()
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

apparent bug in pow()

by jhodges on Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:38 pm

So it appears i've either run across a bug in a pretty basic library, or (much more likely) I screwed up my arduino installation some time ago and now I'm paying for what i don't even remember exactly doing.

I'm runinng arduino-012 on ubuntu 8.10 64bit. For a while there I was trying to get the 328p board working, but ran into difficulties and gave up for a while. I did install the Arduino328.diff patch, and at some point made an update to some of the wiring libraries that were related to math in some way.. i don't remember exactly what i changed.

Anyhow, I have 4 switches mounted up that I want to read as binary values from zero to 15 for my preset sequences. for a long time, i've been working with just 2 switches, but recently got to the point where i wanted to start using it all. basically i loop through the code, and if it's set to 'on', i add 2**index to the final value where index increments from zero to three. I've prototyped the same code in python and c++ and it is theoretically sound. My issue is that I am actually getting wrong values back from pow().

I wrote this test program:
Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
int zero=0;
int one=1;
int two=2;
int three=3;

void setup()
{
  Serial.begin(9600);
  Serial.println(zero,DEC);
  Serial.println(one,DEC);
  Serial.println(two,DEC);
  Serial.println(three,DEC);
  zero=pow(2,zero);
  one=pow(2,one);
  two=pow(2,two);
  three=pow(2,three);
  Serial.println(zero,DEC);
  Serial.println(one,DEC);
  Serial.println(two,DEC);
  Serial.println(three,DEC);
}

and this is what i get back:

However, i should be getting back 1 2 4 8.

Anybody have any ideas on this? I can't find any references to pow() in any of the arduino installed libraries.
jhodges

Re: apparent bug in pow()

by niksun on Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:30 am

Technically, "pow()" takes two doubles and returns a double. I wonder if that's the problem...
Niksun

If you thought before that science was certain--well, that is just an error on your part. -- Richard Feynman
niksun

by westfw on Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:14 am

Don't forget truncation going from float to int.
If pow(2.0, 2.0) returns 3.999999, assigning the value to an int will give you "3" try adding 0.5 to get rounding.

westfw

by mtbf0 on Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:06 am

instead of pow(), use
  zero = 1 << zero;
  one = 1 << one;
  two = 1 << two;
  three = 1 << three;
and see how your code shrinks and zips along much more quickly.
"i want to lead a dissipate existence, play scratchy records and enjoy my decline" - iggy pop, i need more
mtbf0

by jhodges on Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:55 pm

I tried some variations on doubles/floats and didnt' get any different results. However, I totally forgot about bitwise shift operations -- hellz yeah, that's the way to go! Thanks for the tip.
jhodges

by jhodges on Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:46 pm

mtbf0 wrote:instead of pow(), use
  zero = 1 << zero;
  one = 1 << one;
  two = 1 << two;
  three = 1 << three;
and see how your code shrinks and zips along much more quickly.

That worked like a charm, and reduced my code size a good bit. Thanks for the tip.

btw, i tested double again using floats, still no dice. Fortunately, I don't care anymore :)
jhodges

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.