Adafruit is open, safely ... and shipping all orders at this time! Read more!

joystick+PC->wifi->dc and servo control
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

joystick+PC->wifi->dc and servo control

by komer on Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:20 am

Hi all,i am new here,i have in my mind to make some "wood explorer RC car",i need long range control(200-300m would be great,more is better),would like control this with pc joystick connected on pc,i would like to have camera attached to vechile,microphone,some sensors,gps would be very nice:)but for now i need just wireless control..i think use some arduino board X2,xbee X2...but dont know which board?money isnt problem,but dont want to waste money if not needed,i would like to control i think 2 servos and one,maybe 2 DC motors...is this possible?need advice which arduino boards to use?
so i think first i need to do is interface joystick to arduino,then over wifi(Xbee) sent it to another Arduino with Xbee,and motor shield on it,is that correct?is it possible to have xbee and motor shield on arduion at same time?

thanks,
Velimir
komer

Re: joystick+PC->wifi->dc and servo control

by karlgg on Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:09 pm

The Arduino can control several servo motors with the PWM outputs, as long as you don't overdraw on the power supply with huge high-power servos. DC motors need some sort of control, as the Arduino can't source the current those generally need. The motor shield gives you a place for up to 4 DC motors, plus pre-wired pins for 2 servos.

If you're looking to control something for any distance, you might want to get the "pro" versions of the XBee. They are higher power, so should give you better range. And technically, you only need one Arduino, since the 'base' XBee can be controlled by the PC directly.

I haven't used the motor shield and XBee together yet, but it should be fine - just make sure you use the A0-5 pins (defining them as digital in the code), most of the other pins (aside from digital pin 2) are in use. And be careful with power, if the motors aren't well isolated you could make the Arduino randomly reset, or cause radio noise problems with the XBee.
I think I am, therefore I am... I think.

karlgg

Re: joystick+PC->wifi->dc and servo control

by komer on Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:44 pm

i found this,and i like it!http://principialabs.com/arduino-python-4-axis-servo-control/
fortunately i have saitek joystick like on this project and i will use it:)on this movie you can see all i need,but i need one DC motor instead third or fourth servo!
is it possible to do this with only one arduino with motor shield and xbee on one side,and one xbee on computer side?
thanks!
komer

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.