Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Make the Arduino turn on electronics
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Make the Arduino turn on electronics

by GAHorton on Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:51 pm

hello,

so i want to make the arduino act like a switch but i don't really know how to start. I'v done some research using google but nothing much has come up, this seems to cover it but it's really complicated and i don't understand it. http://www.liquidware.com/projects/20/R ... +breakfast

i just want to use the arduino to turn off or on appliances through the serial input. for example take switch wire #1 and plug it into pin 0 and wire #2 into pin 1, send a code and have the device turn on.

thanks
GAHorton

Re: Make the Arduino turn on electronics

by The_Don125 on Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:56 am

The_Don125

by GAHorton on Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:06 pm

Kinda of, that effects the plug the device plugs into, i want to be able to take the switch out of the said device and plug it into the arduino, making the arduino switch.
GAHorton

by franklin97355 on Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:55 pm

You'll need to provide more info since the link The Don125 posted does the same thing your post is doing. Do you want to use one Arduino per device or have multiple devices plug into a power strip that is controlled by an Arduino?

franklin97355

by karlgg on Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:50 pm

I think what he's saying is he wants to have the arduino control replace the switch each appliance has... Which is difficult, and impossible to give a standardized answer because each appliance or device will have a different design. Not to mention, you're most likely fiddling with the mains, which means high-voltage AC (or high enough).

You'd best not make that a first (or even second :P ) major project.

For further research, look for people controlling relays and triacs with TTL logic. Relays are just mechanical switches, which turn on (or off) when power is supplied to it. A triac is similar to that, only more of a transistor for AC current (ie, it's a semiconductor instead of a mechanical switch). Even SCRs might come into play.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRIAC
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicon-controlled_rectifier

Start with something like the SparkFun project, and work your way up from there. (Slowly, carefully and SAFELY - anything plugged into the wall socket is dangerous)
I think I am, therefore I am... I think.

karlgg

by GAHorton on Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:00 pm

thanks for the tips.

what about for a battery powered DC device? for example i have a blinking bike light with a switch, how could i plug both ends of the switch of the arduino and use code to turn the light on?
GAHorton

by franklin97355 on Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:12 pm

You would need to use a MOSFET or a relay to handle the current need by the light and then switch that with a digital pin on the arduino.

franklin97355

by GAHorton on Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:57 am

franklin97355 wrote:You would need to use a MOSFET or a relay to handle the current need by the light and then switch that with a digital pin on the arduino.

could you explain this a bit more.
GAHorton

by Ran Talbott on Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:03 am

franklin97355 wrote:You would need to use a MOSFET or a relay to handle the current need by the light

Maybe not: these days, "blinking bike light" could well mean "LEDs powered by a couple or 3 AA batteries", so a small transistor like a 2N2222 or 2N3906 might be up to the job. A relay across the light's switch contacts is a "safer" solution, since you don't need to know about the light's internals (e.g., whether the switch is closing the connection to positive or negative on the battery), but it uses more power. If the whole system is running off batteries, it's worth digging deeper to find an "all solid state" solution.

Ran
Ran Talbott

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.