Arduino and Hall Effect Sensor
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Arduino and Hall Effect Sensor

by fenris on Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:31 am

Hi all,

I am new to electronics (I have a couple of electrical courses from uni and am doing some refresher reading about the various electronics parts) and I have a question.

I have an Arduino Duemilanove and I would like to use it to measure the wattage consumed by my house (something simlar to this: this) at any given time and transmit the data back to a pc for analysis. I guess this should be asked - should this even be attempted? Is there a better (safer) way to figure out the power usage?

As a first step I would simply like to get the arduino reading current measurements periodically (say every second or so). From the research that I have done it appears that a hall effect sensor would be the best bet to do this as I wouldn't have to make any alterations to wiring, just clamp the sensor on and hook it to the arduino.

The problem I am having is selecting the appropriate type of hall effect sensor. I have looked and cannot seem to find any information (that makes sense to me) about selecting the correct type for my application.

Any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated.
fenris

Re: Arduino and Hall Effect Sensor

by adafruit on Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:57 pm

adafruit

by fenris on Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:36 pm

Ladyada, thanks for the reply and link. I have looked at it and it is very interesting and is ultimately what I would like to accomplish. However I would like to measure the kwh used by the whole house. That device only measures what is plugged...

I would be looking to replicate (as best as I can) something like this or this.
fenris

by franklin97355 on Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:50 am

These look useful. You would need more than one though.

franklin97355

by adafruit on Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:09 am

use the clamps from the isntructables project, connect them to an xbee and copy the rest from the wattcher website, ez!

adafruit

by fenris on Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:32 pm

franklin97355 wrote:These look useful. You would need more than one though.

Franklin97355, thanks for the link!

ladyada wrote:use the clamps from the isntructables project, connect them to an xbee and copy the rest from the wattcher website, ez!

Thanks for the tip. I was toying with getting some clamps for another project.
fenris

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.