Interrupts on Trinket 3.3

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
rbbtebo

Interrupts on Trinket 3.3

Post by rbbtebo »

Good morning.

I've been working on a program using Flora. I'm using the following as pin initiation and interrupt on the Flora:

pinMode(3, INPUT_PULLUP); // set interrupt pin (CALLED SCL on flora which is D3)
attachInterrupt(0, buttonISR, FALLING);

I'll be switching out the Flora to a Adafruit Trinket - Mini Microcontroller - 3.3V Logic - MicroUSB -- what pin works for the Trinket? Do I need to change the code also?

Thanks in advance!

Franklin97355

Re: Interrupts on Trinket 3.3

Post by Franklin97355 »

The pin assignments are in this document https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing-trinket/pinouts

rbbtebo

Post by rbbtebo »

Thanks, Franklin.

I have read that document. But I'm not familiar enough which chips and programming to understand. Can ANY pin be used as an interrupt? And don't pin numbers associate with particular interrupt numbers? For example, the Flora D3 pin is associated with interrupt 0.

Thanks in advance,
Balad

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

On a Trinket, only pin #2 can handle the FALLING type of interrupt.

All the pins can generate pin-change interrupts, but only PB2 has the extra circuits needed to detect rising or falling edges.

rbbtebo

Post by rbbtebo »

Thank you, Mike. I'll give that a try.

rbbtebo

Post by rbbtebo »

Good morning.

I'm back to working with a Flora. How do you make any pin an interrupt? I don't need rising/falling - just recognize when a switch is closed to ground. Don't pin numbers need to be associated with particular interrupt numbers? I'm already using 3v, SCL, SDA, and GND connected to a color sensor and I want a switch connected between D10 and ground to cause an interrupt. What would the attachInterrupt statement look like? "attachInterrupt(D10, buttonISR, CHANGE);"??? Thank you as always.

adafruit_support_mike

If you want to see when a pin goes low, that's a FALLING interrupt type. On the Flora, the SDA, SCL, RX, and TX pins can recognize falling edges.

This diagram shows all the names and functions: https://learn.adafruit.com/system/asset ... 1396787706

If you want to use the attachInterrupt() method, use the Arduino pin numbers (D0 through D3).

rbbtebo

Post by rbbtebo »

Dear Mike,

I'm still somewhat confused (my usual state of mind...) On March 15, when talking about a Trinket, you said "All the pins can generate pin-change interrupts, but only PB2 has the extra circuits needed to detect rising or falling edges." How do you do this? Thanks!

And I'm sorry for the double posting... it won't happen again!

adafruit_support_mike

Flora or Trinket?

They have different microcontrollers, so the interrupts and pin mappings are different.

rbbtebo

Post by rbbtebo »

Good morning, Mike. I'm working with a Flora now....

Balad

adafruit_support_mike

In that case, the information from two posts back is appropriate:
adafruit_support_mike wrote:If you want to see when a pin goes low, that's a FALLING interrupt type. On the Flora, the SDA, SCL, RX, and TX pins can recognize falling edges.

This diagram shows all the names and functions: https://learn.adafruit.com/system/asset ... 1396787706

If you want to use the attachInterrupt() method, use the Arduino pin numbers (D0 through D3).
Information about interrupts on the Trinket has nothing to do with interrupts on the Flora. Different microcontrollers, different interrupts, different pins.

rbbtebo

Post by rbbtebo »

Thanks, Mike.

RushabhT

Post by RushabhT »

Hi all,

I'm a beginner in embedded tinkering, and have got my Flora, along with a vibrator motor and the built in Neopixel, pulsing at a certain frequency.

I wanted to connect a Rotary encoder to also allow changing the pulse frequency (of both the motor and the LED), but realised that my code can only act on the External Interrupt pins. I wanted to use pins #6 and #12 connected to the Rotary Encoder, but realised I need to probably change my code to use some sort of pinChangeInterrupt (compared to the example attachInterrupt) function.

Is this possible on the Flora? I tried installing some other Arduino libraries (pinChangeInterrupt) but I don't think I can get a valid reading on either of those two inputs.

Would greatly appreciate all your help.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

@RushabhT - This is both off-topic and a quadruple post. Please do not post the same question to multiple threads!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”