BlinkM alternative?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

BlinkM alternative?

by joshstl79 on Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:30 pm

hi everybody. Sorry if this is a total n00b question...

anyway, so there's the BlinkM out there - the problem is, is that it's like $12... i know that's not a ton of cash or anything, but isn't there a way to slap together something home made? there are a few rgb led tutorials on the arduino playground, but still.

let the flaming commence, i guess...
joshstl79

Re: BlinkM alternative?

by magician13134 on Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:31 pm

Actually, there's a member here who makes and sells just that. It's called a ShiftBright, those are only $5, check it out:
http://macetech.com/store/index.php?mai ... 7adbcc837d

Or yes, you could simply use 5mm RGB LEDs from Mouser or Digikey (or eBay, just don't get the "flashing" RGB kind!) and attach that to three digital output pins from the Arduino and by using PWM, you too can create all the colors of the rainbow :)

(Woo, 1000 posts!)
magician13134

by trialex on Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:32 pm

Whether something is "cheap" or not depends not only on the price, but the effort it will save you to get it working. BlinkM's are all set up nicely for you.

That said, you could looks at a ShiftBrite:

http://www.macetech.com/blog/node/54

It's very similar to the BlinkM. The guy who designed/makes them, macegr, is active on the arduino forums, and often gives people who have bought ShiftBrites heaps of help.
trialex

by mtbf0 on Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:31 am

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=5133&p=23575#p23575

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=5426&p=25239#p25239

i did get a little further than this but, as usual, when it got to the point that i could just sit there, drooling and stare at it for hours, the development effort suffered. it is scriptable. or can be controlled over the serial interface. it can run six different scripts simultaneously, but that hasn't been tested too rigorously. doesn't support hsv because i don't understand it.
"i want to lead a dissipate existence, play scratchy records and enjoy my decline" - iggy pop, i need more
mtbf0

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.