Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Xbee Accident
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Xbee Accident

by ziplock on Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:32 pm

I accidently powered one of my Xbee's with 5V while I was testing it for about two hours. I saw the problem, and now it's running on 3.3V. I can't tell if I fried it or not. My ON led that is connected to the Xbee shows that it's still on. Did I destroy?
ziplock

Re: Xbee Accident

by littlefish on Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:56 pm

Can you communicate with it from the terminal, such as
+++
AT

Do you get and "OK" back?

littlefish

by ziplock on Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:34 pm

My xbee just repeats the characters I send to it back to me. The ON led and the STATUS led connected to pins ON and AD5 respectively both are normal (ie, STATUS blinks and ON is on). Is it fried?
ziplock

by 33warlord on Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:36 pm

query it from the X-CTU program, and see if you're able to read the firmware version or modem type. If that works, goto the BIOS setting screen and see if you can read in all of the BIOS settings? I would then test it by sending some wierless data.

If all of that works you're probably good to go, but depending on what part of the board got hit with the power (and what current) it could have blown out a few IO lines or pins that it made contact with.

Good luck!

33warlord

by ziplock on Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:29 am

Uhh... I connected the VCC line to the 5V on my Arduino.

I can't read anything about the Xbee in X-CTU. I must have fried it :(.
ziplock

by 33warlord on Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:19 pm

Well, no response from X-CTU isn't good, but I'm not certain that it's "fried" yet.

... Your earlier post indicated that one LED is solid and one is blinking. Since there's no logic on the adapter alone that would cause the LED to blink, that would seem to indicate that some part of the XBee is functioning (and thus making the LEDs blink)

Where exactly did you connect 5V to: the adapter board or the XBee module? If it was to the adapter board you may be okay, as its designed to be connected to 5V (it has circuitry to convert to 3.3 before the XBee module).

Also, how are you connecting your computer to the adapter? (i.e. what serial to TTL converter - an FTDI cable, a SparkFun breakout board, etc...)

Can you post a picture of this cable connected to your board? (preferably when the LEDs are on)

33warlord

by ziplock on Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:34 pm

The board is connected using a SparkFun breakout board. I applied 5V to the VCC line. I'm using an FT232 cables that sends 3.3V signals, and I have the board's TX and RX lines connected to the XBee's RX and TX lines. I also have the ground connection between the Arduino (power source), Xbee, and FTDI cable jumpered together. I'll post a pic in a bit.
ziplock

by 33warlord on Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:39 am

ziplock wrote:I applied 5V to the VCC line.

The Vcc Line of what? The adapter (that the XBee plugs into), or the or the XBee unit directly?

If you applied 5V to the VCC line of the adapter (the board you purchased from Adafruit) then that is not a problem, as that board is designed to take a 5V input (that's what the voltage reg on the board is for).

A picture will definitely help - and if you could indicate where (on the pic) you applied 5V that may help.

You mention that you're using a sparkfun breakout, but you also mention an FTDI cable - so I'm not sure which you're using. Please explain this a bit more is you can...

33warlord

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.