Gemma Red LED Not Blinking

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
therold

Gemma Red LED Not Blinking

Post by therold »

I got my Gemma today and followed the instruction for the setup on my Mac. When I connect it via USB the green light is on, but the red light is very dim and never blinks, even not after a reset. After a reset the red dim light goes off after 3 seconds, sometimes it stays on all the time. But it's always dim (compared to the green LED) and never blinks.

Settings:
Board: Adafruit Gemma 8Mhz
Programmer: Arduino Gemma

Uploading error code:
avrdude: Error: Could not find USBtiny device (0x2341/0xc9f)

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Gemma Red LED Not Blinking

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

That's a known issue with the Gemma bootloader and USB-3 ports (standard on almost all Macs by now).

Try putting an old/cheap USB hub between the Mac and the Gemma. The hub will have a USB-2 host chip inside, and will act as a protocol translator between the Gemma and the Mac.

therold

Post by therold »

Good to know, will get one, test it and report back here. Any other solutions besides that? Will that be fixed in the future with an update?

adafruit_support_mike

That's the only known workaround.

We don't know of any way to fix the issue without making the bootloader so big it consumes all the available program memory.

therold

Post by therold »

Got my UDB 2.0 hub today and it's working now. Thanks for the quick reply.

cahilljallan

Post by cahilljallan »

Hey Guys, (sorry for the tag on thread, would not let me start a new one)

I recently purchased a few things from you guys and had them Shipped to Sydney for a Uni Project.
(Invoice Number: 1083286) but I'm having an issue with my Adafruit Gemma v2

I have followed all the set up stages to get the Gemma to Work:
- Installing the Latest Arduino Software
- Installing the Correct Board Manager and Programmer Type (adafruit Gemma 8MHz & USBtinyISP)

After attempting to run the code for the "Blink Test" I noticed the code would never load with the known error (0x1781/0xc9f) after reading about the Bootloader I realised I had never seen the Red LED light up (only ever seen the green one on)

So I then:
- Uninstalled and Reinstalled all the software for Arduino
- Tried with my 2nd Known Good Cable
- Tried through a powered USB-2 Hub after reading the known issue with USB-3
- Attempted the entire process both on my Mac and PC and still have never seen the Red LED come on when pushing the Reset Button.

I have not soldered or used the Gemma much as I discovered this problem early when I just had it set up dry with alligator clips.

Considering a lot of the issues people are having with loading the Gemma on the Forum not many have actually said they have never seen the Red LED illuminate so it makes me concerned It may have an issue.

Please let me know what I can do to resolve this issue, I'm in Sydney so I can pack it back up and send it back however I did order the part for a University Assignment and I do need it to be working ASAP.

I have seen this article: https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing- ... bootloader
I am nervous to attempt to Repair the Bootloader as I don't have a Genuine Arduino Uno (I only have a Freetronics Eleven) and don't want to make the issue worse.

Thank you for your awesome service so far guys and I hope to hear from you soon.

Cheers,

Cahill

adafruit_support_mike

Does the red LED pulse when you press the Gemma's reset button?

cahilljallan

Post by cahilljallan »

No, since buying the Gemma I have not seen the Red LED Light up. Even when pressing the reset button whilst plugged in

terrysmith

Post by terrysmith »

I'm having the same problem with 2 Gemma boards purchased a few months ago - the others purchased at the same time seem to work fine - I can upload sketches no problem and red light blinks on the others. No red light on these 2... Now I'm worried about others I bought at the same time that my students have been busily sewing into their projects with neo-pixels. In both cases, green light is fine - no red light ever.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

@terrysmith, please don't tag on to other peoples threads unless you are answering the subject. If you have a question or problem start your own thread so we can work with you.

paigeaperez

Post by paigeaperez »

how do you start your own thread? Im having trouble recoding a Gemma I have and I just need someone to give me a simple code to make them only go red and no other color but i can not for the life of me find where and how to make my own post please help

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

Looks like you got it figured out.

mastermark

Post by mastermark »

Sorry to jump on the post but i can't see how to start my own :(
Purchased a adafruit gemma today powered it up and i only get a green light, I press the button then i get a very dim red light for 3 seconds. Tried both Mac/PC Usb 2.0 Hub.
Is this Faulty

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”