Color sensor

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
filet_o_freak

Color sensor

Post by filet_o_freak »

Hello,
I have an Arduino kit and would like to get some input from a color sensor to drive some RGB LEDs. I need the sensor to be able to pick up the color of an object, around the size of a shirt, within a 1 to 10 feet range. It does not need to be precise, I just need a general idea of the color that is passing by. I need help finding the sensor, I should be able to figure out how to do the rest. Any help for a novice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks !
Dylan
Last edited by filet_o_freak on Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

amberwolf

Re: Color sensor

Post by amberwolf »

I think you might get by with a lens picking up the light from the shirt and sending it to a set of three simple photoresistors or phototransistors (like an Ambient Light Sensor module), each with it's own Red, Green or Blue filter over it, then creating either a formula or a lookup table in software to measure what color is being sensed based on the amount of light each one picks up.

Using a CCD would probably be even better results, but I don't know how much more complicated the hardware would be for that.

opossum

Re: Color sensor

Post by opossum »

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”