Black Lives Matter - Action and Equality. ... Adafruit joins the Stop Hate for Profit campaign.

Need a little help hooking up a boarduino
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Need a little help hooking up a boarduino

by radiorental on Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:43 pm

I'm using an ArduinoMini usb to connect with a Boardunio and getting the following when uploading

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x60
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=014, resp=0x60

I can take a photo of the setup but I'm following the instructions here http://www.ladyada.net/make/boarduino/use.html and pretty sure I've not screwed up connecting 4 whole wires (o; I am running the Boarduino off USB power and not using the auto-reset link.

I'm guessing I've got a problem somewhere in Arduino 13 on 0S X.
I'm using Tools > Board > Arduino Diecimila
and Tools > Serial Port > /dev/cu.usbserial-A4001o0h

Anyone got a pointer or let me know if you need more info.

Many thanks in advance /pauric

radiorental

Re: Need a little help hooking up a boarduino

by radiorental on Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:40 am

I'm wondering if I'm doing something so blindingly stupid such that my question isnt going to get a response or if my setup should work and no one has an idea why its not?

I am puzzled about using Arduino Diecimila as the option for the board, that may explain the sync'ing errors but I could not find any information on this other than "The bootloader installed is a cross between the NG and Diecimila." I've tried both with no success.

I'd appreciate either a
'go off and do your homework - you'll figure it out'
or
'thats not a common problem'

Thanks /pauric

radiorental

by westfw on Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:49 am

I'm using an ArduinoMini usb to connect with a Boardunio and getting the following when uploading
:
I can take a photo of the setup but I'm following the instructions here http://www.ladyada.net/make/boarduino/use.html and pretty sure I've not screwed up connecting 4 whole wires

Are you really usings an Arduino Mini as the USB converter? The instructions you refer to are for using a "miniusb" board, which is a different thing entirely! (it has JUST the USB/Serial converter, and no Arduino CPU at all...)

westfw

by radiorental on Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:39 pm

Thanks for the clarification question westfw! I was unclear. I am using the miniUSB (not arduino mini) to connect with the Boarduino - the only Arduino in this setup.

To fault find; I took the atmega168 out of the boarduino and placed it in a diecimila and uploaded a blink led13 sketch - works. So the 168 is working.

I then placed the 168 back on the boardino and the LEDblinks fine. I'm thinking the boarduino is fine and I'm looking at a duff miniUSB dongle from makezine.

Is there a way I can program the diecimila with the mini USB. There's a TX & RX printed on pins 0 & 1 on the diecimila, can I use those for the serial connection?

Thanks for any help on this. I just want to figure out if I have a DOA miniusb.

/pauric

radiorental

by westfw on Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:47 pm

Does the USB/Serial port show up at all to your computer?

Try taking the 168 out of your boArduino, stick a wire between digitial Rx/Tx (digital 0 and 1) and see if you see your own traffic talking to the relevant serial port with the Ardunio IDE's "serial monitor" function (or other comm program.) If that works, you've confirmed that a lot of the circuit is operational.

If not, disconnect the miniusb from the BoArduino and put a jumper between ITS rx and tx pins and try again. If it still doesn't work, and there are no blinky lights, then that's a pretty clear indication that the usb adapter is dead.

westfw

by adafruit on Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:43 pm

check if you have a '328p
if so, select arduino w/'328p as the board type

adafruit

by radiorental on Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:08 pm

Thanks, I connected TX & RX together on the miniUSB. Both lights blick once and then I get this back

"Binary sketch size: 1446 bytes (of a 14336 byte maximum)
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x30
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51"

So, if its true that I should see the serial TX loopback on the Serial monitor then I think I will mail the makershed.

Thanks for everyone's help, glad to know that at least I'm not doing something super dumb. /pauric

radiorental

by karlgg on Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:57 pm

No, that doesn't sound right at all. You can't send a sketch to 'nothing', it's expecting an Arduino to be at the other end when you do that. He wants you to use a terminal program to just type letters at the USB, and see if they come back over the wire you added.
I think I am, therefore I am... I think.

karlgg

by westfw on Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:33 pm

karlgg is right. The "upload" errors you saw with the "looped-back" usb adaptor are exactly what you'd expect from a properly working adaptor (and perhaps several types of non-working adaptor as well, which is why you want to use the serial monitor or terminal program for testing instead of the upload command.)

westfw

by The_Don125 on Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:16 pm

Do you have the correct serial port selected? I've had that error appear if the wrong serial port was selected.
The_Don125

by radiorental on Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:33 pm

ahhh, that makes more sense - thank you for bearing with me

With just the serial monitor (no trying to upload this time) I was able to send/receive text with both
TX-RX connected on the miniusb and then pins 2&3 on the atmega168 socket (chip removed)

So here's where I'm puzzled. I'm able to program that very same chip in a diecimila board.

OOOHHHHHH MURDER. I just realised I need to hit the boarduino reset button immediately prior to click upload. I was wondering what the purpose of that extra wire was.

Suggestion to Limor it might help dunderheads like myself if this step was a little more explicit

"Dont forget to do the 'autoreset hack below or it wont auto-reset when its time to program"
Could read
"Dont forget to do the 'autoreset hack below or it wont auto-reset when its time to program which means you will need to press reset and then press upload within the allocated 7 seconds"

Sincerest thanks to everyone who helped with this simple (stupid?) question. I appreciate your help /pauric

radiorental

by adafruit on Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:23 pm

oh right. i keep forgetting about the wierd miniusb thing :(

adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.