Adafruit Industries, Essential service and business: NYC – Executive Order 202.6 - Read more. Accepting essential orders - here's how.

Prefered
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

What would you prefer?

Xbee on bottom
No votes
Xbee off to the back
33%
Barrel plug jack
67%
JST jack
No votes

Total votes : 6

Prefered

by ziplock on Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:41 am

What would you prefer? An arduino with a barrel power jack, or a JST power connector? And, would you like and Xbee on the bottom, or on an extention off the rear?
ziplock

Re: Prefered

by Ran Talbott on Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:10 am

Power connector preferences are going to depend on how the board is being used: when you're fiddling with the board on the bench, a coaxial connector is better. If you're building the board into something permanent, something like a JST connector will usually be a better choice (although, personally, I prefer .1" headers, because I'm used to them and have lots of them).

I'm still deciding about whether to get into Xbee networking, but you should make sure that whatever mounting choice you make doesn't interfere with the various antenna options (which include a wire sticking up perpendicular to the module).

Ran
Ran Talbott

Re: Prefered

by ziplock on Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:11 am

You should make sure that whatever mounting choice you make doesn't interfere with the various antenna options (which include a wire sticking up perpendicular to the module).

I completely forgot about that! Thanks for the reminder....

I might put a barrel with the option for a JST jack... that would be smart....

Since I can't solder SMT worth a darn, I decided not to use the FTDI chip. Instead, I'm going to put a six-pin male connector so that you can attach an FTDI cable, or the SparkFun FTDI adapter, or whatever FTDI compatible adapter you choose. The board will be able to accept shields.
ziplock

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.