Parts / Assembly Inventory tracking

Get help, and assist others in with open source kits and running a business! Do not ask for legal advice or for consulting services in this forum, only general biz questions!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Get help, and assist others in with open source kits and running a business! Do not ask for legal advice or for consulting services in this forum, only general biz questions!
ApprenticeWizard

Parts / Assembly Inventory tracking

Post by ApprenticeWizard »

Greetings,

This looks like it has been asked a few times, but never really answered. Can I put this to Adafruit directly, then?

Adafruit, what software / combo of software do you use to track, kit, and/or re-order components? Does it track inventory? Do you forecast with it?

(anyone else that wants to tell what they use once you're beyond spreadsheets, I'd also like to hear)

Thanks,

george_graves

Re: Parts / Assembly Inventory tracking

Post by george_graves »

That's an interesting question. As a "small" kit builder, I was once interested in this too. I found my problem wasn't big enough to warrant a real software solution. Rather, the solution was to keep more parts on hand then I needed. For example, one kit I build, takes a 63 resistors. That's a lot of resistors in one product (it's a resistor substitution box). OS ordering 1000's of them was a no-brainer.

To make a long story short, it wasn't worth my time to track the inventory. Insead, I spent the "human hours worth of time" to order 1000's of parts that would last months.

But to your point. I do know that Adafuit does use some predictive order modeling software. PT and Limor have talked about it. I don't think it's out in the public. My best guess is that it's tracking orders, and more of a "P" of a PID type loop. that would be a great question to ask on "Ask an Engineer" - It's always fun to pick PT's brain on subjects of business.

Forum rules

Return to “Kitbiz”