Mouser shipping tip to save money.

Get help, and assist others in with open source kits and running a business! Do not ask for legal advice or for consulting services in this forum, only general biz questions!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Get help, and assist others in with open source kits and running a business! Do not ask for legal advice or for consulting services in this forum, only general biz questions!
maltesemants

Re: Mouser shipping tip to save money.

Post by maltesemants »

As others have said, nobody like NEWARK!

Again, my recent Newark order didn't estimate shipping. I figured it would be much for a few SMT LEDs and coin cell batteries. But as it turned out, I was charge just shy of $20 for shipping from two different location with two different invoices from my single order. And I had to have Customer Service email me a pdf of my invoices. I could only print a copy or get a link emailed from their site - no download option! What a pain!

Digikey is better even if slightly more expensive than Newark.

On a different note, I've purchased from McMaster-Carr and I'm on the WEST. Their standard shipping is always fast and no too expensive. MSC is another place for mechanical components and tools. Haven't ordered from them in years, however.

LynnetteReese

Post by LynnetteReese »

I don't know exactly when Mouser added shipping costs to view before placing an order, but in case you are just now reading this thread, it shows all the different methods to ship and the cost. Image

george_graves

Post by george_graves »

Yea, they are getting better at it. But it's still up to the stock room guys/gals to package your items. I often order dip chips, or to-220's in the 25's to 200's.....and rather them break them down, they package a huge tube, 3-4 feet long. Adding to "dimensional cost" - I think they can do better. Just my 2 cents.

I ship about as much as I receive. So, lucky for me, the packaging is all recycled.

clarkj

Post by clarkj »

I have two somewhat related tales, and a couple of other comments. Note that I am in the Phoenix, AZ area.

Nearly a year ago, I ordered a couple hundred dollars worth of parts from DigiKey (I've been doing business with them for over 40 years, and only had to contact customer service twice in that time). Anyway, being the stingy curmudgeon I am, I picked UPS ground. It did get me a tracking number, which I watched in eager anticipation. I noted something unusual, but more about that in a bit. The package arrived two days after the original UPS estimate, looking like it had been through a train wreck -- for good reason, as the aforementioned "something unusual" was "train wreck" in Amarillo, TX. When I opened the (already partially open) package, everything was there. The only damage I found was a couple of the white cardboard boxes for wall-wart power supplies were damaged, but hey, they were destined for the recycle bin anyway. Kudos for DigiKey's shipping department!

More recently (last month), I'd ordered several parts for my lawn tractor from Sears. They came in three vastly oversized boxes, as far as I could tell, all from the same facility, shipped on the same day and delivered on the same day. I unpacked them, and was able to put all of the stuff easily into one of the boxes, and would have had plenty of room for packing material (which I'd left out). IIRC, though, it was "free shipping", so it was UPS's gain.

When I order from Amazon, I try to get the "free shipping" -- most stuff I get comes from the fulfillment center in North Las Vegas, NV, and so gets to me the next day. Anything I order from southern CA usually gets to me the next day even by UPS ground.

Forum rules

Return to “Kitbiz”