Bridging maker boutiques and designers
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Get help, and assist others in with open source kits and running a business! Do not ask for legal advice or for consulting services in this forum, only general biz questions!
Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Bridging maker boutiques and designers

by MikeBarela on Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:51 am

Adafruit, Sparkfun and others are raising the capability for folks looking to market their ideas. But there is still a gap if the design team is not skilled enough in electronics or code. They can take a few paths:

1) develop the skills to do it themselves (takes time)
2) hire the skills (takes money)

Certainly maker boutiques encourage do it themselves - make more makers. By far the teach them to fish plan.

But perhaps an ecosystem of technical folks could be available to help those designers with their one-off hurtles. This would be tough for a company to do, perhaps a group of people on Google Help outs could make a go of something like this?

I'm thinking a use case would be a wearable team without a tech person as an example.

Thoughts?

(And no I'm not planning to do this myself, I've just read enough blog posts where the implementation is a bit too much for a project and they are looking for help beyond that Adafruit can supply like custom code or project electrical design)

MikeBarela

Re: Bridging maker boutiques and designers

by franklin97355 on Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:38 am

Online there are the forums for products, programming and ideas. If someone needs help with a one-off there are places like the jobs board here and in some places, and growing, there are hacker spaces with tools and knowledgeable people.

franklin97355

by lyndon on Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:50 pm

I answer lots of questions on electronics.stackexchange.com That seems like an appropriate forum for questions like that.

lyndon

by MikeBarela on Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:26 am

Feel free to cross post

MikeBarela

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.