Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Import fees, VAT, and taxes for shipping - in a list?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Get help, and assist others in with open source kits and running a business! Do not ask for legal advice or for consulting services in this forum, only general biz questions!
Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Import fees, VAT, and taxes for shipping - in a list?

by george_graves on Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:11 am

Living in the US, I've never had to pay a fee for receiving a package. But in other parts of the world, when you ship a package, the recipient will often have to pay a fee to get the package.

Does anyone know of a list of the fees country by country? I also understand it varies by shipping method/carrier. And of course declared value.

Does such a list exists? It would be a fun project to make into some sort of online app. That's assumeing that data is even out there.

My spidey senses tell me there is a bit of black magic in the rates for some countries.

A quick search show UPS has some data for Canada

Rates for Customs Clearance into Canada: http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shippi ... rance.html

Anyone know of a more detailed list?

george_graves

Re: Import fees, VAT, and taxes for shipping - in a list?

by ayates on Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:15 am

First rule of thumb is to never ship UPS (or FedEx) into Canada from the US. They both hit the recipient with excessive brokerage fees (i.e. $50+), UPS is worse, plus the sales tax. Use USPS for shipping to Canada; consumer level customers will appreciate it.

Allan.

ayates

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.