Import fees, VAT, and taxes for shipping - in a list?

Get help, and assist others in with open source kits and running a business! Do not ask for legal advice or for consulting services in this forum, only general biz questions!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Get help, and assist others in with open source kits and running a business! Do not ask for legal advice or for consulting services in this forum, only general biz questions!
george_graves

Import fees, VAT, and taxes for shipping - in a list?

Post by george_graves »

Living in the US, I've never had to pay a fee for receiving a package. But in other parts of the world, when you ship a package, the recipient will often have to pay a fee to get the package.

Does anyone know of a list of the fees country by country? I also understand it varies by shipping method/carrier. And of course declared value.

Does such a list exists? It would be a fun project to make into some sort of online app. That's assumeing that data is even out there.

My spidey senses tell me there is a bit of black magic in the rates for some countries.

A quick search show UPS has some data for Canada

Rates for Customs Clearance into Canada: http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shippi ... rance.html

Anyone know of a more detailed list?

ayates

Re: Import fees, VAT, and taxes for shipping - in a list?

Post by ayates »

First rule of thumb is to never ship UPS (or FedEx) into Canada from the US. They both hit the recipient with excessive brokerage fees (i.e. $50+), UPS is worse, plus the sales tax. Use USPS for shipping to Canada; consumer level customers will appreciate it.

Allan.

Forum rules

Return to “Kitbiz”