Start-up products

Get help, and assist others in with open source kits and running a business! Do not ask for legal advice or for consulting services in this forum, only general biz questions!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Get help, and assist others in with open source kits and running a business! Do not ask for legal advice or for consulting services in this forum, only general biz questions!
adamjohns1990

Start-up products

Post by adamjohns1990 »

Hey,

Some friends and I are trying to start an electronics based start-up company. We were wondering if anyone could help with some very quick guidance or market research.

One of the first projects we were considering developing was a unique type of lighting/interactive product for hobbyists. We were wondering about the feasibility of pursuing this in terms of costings. There are a few similar products on this website in terms of quality, genre and pricing (but not design!). I wouldn't want to 'pick out' a product but any LED/lighting items around $40 would most likely be similar for the sake of comparison here.

Broadly speaking, could anyone advise as to how much such products are bought for by retailers (like Adafruit, or any other) if they are sold at around $40 and how many of such a product would be sold per month for a single retailer? If there is anyone with any insight - your guidance would be very much appreciated!!

I understand that there may be quite some variation between different products. Even if you know if there is a high or low profit margin in this industry and if quality or quantity is key that would be great. I don't know if the profit would be 50% or 1%! I'm also interested to know if there is a good market for these products in your opinion, or if it's too competitive, for example.

Thanks!

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Start-up products

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

[moved to the Kitbiz forum]

LittleNerd

Post by LittleNerd »

A smart item that I have never seen is a kit with a normal controller, and a receiver. I was recently looking for one and i'm sure people want this for creating their own R/C cars!

george_graves

Post by george_graves »

The only advice I can give you, is find a need that you have, and make it(a solution to a real problem) for yourself. Share the idea with the world, and if the idea is solid, then the rest takes care of it'self.

Forum rules

Return to “Kitbiz”