Fees and Taxes and Margins! (oh my)
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Get help, and assist others in with open source kits and running a business! Do not ask for legal advice or for consulting services in this forum, only general biz questions!
Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Fees and Taxes and Margins! (oh my)

by heph on Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:55 pm

I'm planning a Kickstarter for digital fashion accessories and would love some advice on how much to charge. I've read the advice of 2-3x cost as a minimum retail, but am learning that "cost" has a ton of factors, and I'm not sure which apply.

For example, Kickstarter doesn't allow me to collect sales tax where the reward would be delivered to a party in my state (California). The state still requires that I *pay* sales tax on these transactions. If I increase the retail price by 10% to cover sales tax, that becomes the new baseline sale price for calculating tax liability *and* has me overcharging out of state parties. How is this typically handled?

In addition, Kickstarter (and Amazon payments) will take around 10% off the top of all donations for their fees. Should I account for that as part of cost (again, raising the price 10%), or let it eat into the 2-3x margin?

heph

Re: Fees and Taxes and Margins! (oh my)

by adafruit_support_mike on Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:05 am

There are laws about discussing pricing and promotion online. They have to do with cartels, price fixing, and a bunch of other stuff.

It's a subject we don't allow because our lawyer already has other things to do.

adafruit_support_mike

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.