Fees and Taxes and Margins! (oh my)

Get help, and assist others in with open source kits and running a business! Do not ask for legal advice or for consulting services in this forum, only general biz questions!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Get help, and assist others in with open source kits and running a business! Do not ask for legal advice or for consulting services in this forum, only general biz questions!
heph

Fees and Taxes and Margins! (oh my)

Post by heph »

I'm planning a Kickstarter for digital fashion accessories and would love some advice on how much to charge. I've read the advice of 2-3x cost as a minimum retail, but am learning that "cost" has a ton of factors, and I'm not sure which apply.

For example, Kickstarter doesn't allow me to collect sales tax where the reward would be delivered to a party in my state (California). The state still requires that I *pay* sales tax on these transactions. If I increase the retail price by 10% to cover sales tax, that becomes the new baseline sale price for calculating tax liability *and* has me overcharging out of state parties. How is this typically handled?

In addition, Kickstarter (and Amazon payments) will take around 10% off the top of all donations for their fees. Should I account for that as part of cost (again, raising the price 10%), or let it eat into the 2-3x margin?

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Fees and Taxes and Margins! (oh my)

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

There are laws about discussing pricing and promotion online. They have to do with cartels, price fixing, and a bunch of other stuff.

It's a subject we don't allow because our lawyer already has other things to do.

Forum rules

Return to “Kitbiz”