Adafruit store stocking lots more x0xb0x parts.

Trading post for x0xen, x0x parts, axles, pelts and tobacco

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Luap

Adafruit store stocking lots more x0xb0x parts.

Post by Luap »

Just a heads up..
http://www.adafruit.com/index.php?main_ ... ex&cPath=4
I don't know when all these extra parts got added, but I only just noticed today.
Good news for those looking for parts :wink: However, I do wonder if it had all originally been destined for complete kits.. :|

Anyway, I made the most of it and ordered a few spare bits.

computer controlled

Re: Adafruit store stocking lots more x0xb0x parts.

Post by computer controlled »

Huh, cool.

hamburgers

Post by hamburgers »

neat

textile

Post by textile »

Yeah I know , Awsome !

It will be a complete all in one before you know.
This really makes things easier for all.

move over mouser ....

Luap

Post by Luap »

textile wrote:Yeah I know , Awsome !

It will be a complete all in one before you know.
This really makes things easier for all.

move over mouser ....
As I mentioned, I don't think the intention or interest is there any more to stock complete kits. It looks to me like parts collected for potential kits are being sold off instead.
Support has been noticeably lacking in the last few months, and the x0xb0x waiting list faq gets more depressing with every edit.

Still, it's one of those situations where i'd be happy to be proved wrong?! :wink: And in the mean time, lots of good parts are up for grabs at reasonable cost.

altitude

Post by altitude »

I dont understand why people dont just self source everything. I just got all the parts for mine and they came in at right about the kit price if you added the case (I did not). Leave Limor alone and DIY

Luap

Post by Luap »

Altitude wrote:I dont understand why people dont just self source everything. I just got all the parts for mine and they came in at right about the kit price if you added the case (I did not). Leave Limor alone and DIY
Thats easy to say now. If everyone knew back then what we know now, then we'd all have skipped the waiting list altogether and self sourced from the start ;)
I hope you don't think I was giving Limor a hard time though. It wasn't my intention. Im grateful for the huge amount of work in getting the whole x0xb0x project off the ground in the first place, and that Adafruit sells any parts at all.

Still, regardless of where we buy the parts from, it is clear that the project is now essentially unsupported by Limor/Adafruit (Bar parts sales). Which is a shame, as im sure the x0xb0x must have brought a lot of good publicity to the company, plus it is arguably the best kit/project on the site. Open source or not, Limor penned this deal, and it seemed morally right that her company took my money for a kit. But instead the vast majority of it went elsewhere. There is a certain irony there I feel.

Self sourcing isn't bad. The bad part is when you eventually realise after waiting on the list for many months (years in some cases), that the time was wasted, and now what was potentially going to be your kit is now being sold off in bits?

Anyway, back to leg humping over at Narrat1ve :lol:

altitude

Post by altitude »

I guess being across the pond does make it a little more complicated than just filling two carts at mouser and digikey but there are a bunch of shops that support and sell complete units now here and abroad. Like I mentioned, I have been absent here for a while so I cannot speak for what support here is like anymore but back in the day, it was excellent and I'll be you could ask any of the old pros here technical questions and get good answers..

textile

Post by textile »

The bottom line for the future of the x0x project is the NOS transistors. It what prevents it from being a "in stock" device.
It won't hurt to use alternative parts.

Since a lot of people thought vintage soft synths were cool , and the majority of listeners don't notice the difference between synths in general , I cant see a similar transistor making a whole lot of difference .
Ok I know about vintage components , but I also know about their life span. A new transistor is still a transistor and with correct selecting no-one will notice in fact it might just be better.
Moog built the voyager with new transistor IC arrays , and it still sounds like a mini moog .
Remember that roland made heaps of units they obviously didn't linger too long over the selection of components , like how most do today , they selected quickly and in bulk , of course I will be told otherwise from an "ex-employee" of roland or something... :lol:

What I am saying is lets keep the x0x project alive by thinking forward. Its a fantastic sequencer with an open ended synth. Lets not let it die due to a few old bits of plastic and carbon. :wink:

The 303 block diagram / schematic is important, good components with good selection and it will be here forever.

I loath soft synths by the way .

phono

Post by phono »

textile wrote:The bottom line for the future of the x0x project is the NOS transistors. It what prevents it from being a "in stock" device.
It won't hurt to use alternative parts.

Since a lot of people thought vintage soft synths were cool , and the majority of listeners don't notice the difference between synths in general , I cant see a similar transistor making a whole lot of difference .
Ok I know about vintage components , but I also know about their life span. A new transistor is still a transistor and with correct selecting no-one will notice in fact it might just be better.
Moog built the voyager with new transistor IC arrays , and it still sounds like a mini moog .
Remember that roland made heaps of units they obviously didn't linger too long over the selection of components , like how most do today , they selected quickly and in bulk , of course I will be told otherwise from an "ex-employee" of roland or something... :lol:

What I am saying is lets keep the x0x project alive by thinking forward. Its a fantastic sequencer with an open ended synth. Lets not let it die due to a few old bits of plastic and carbon. :wink:

The 303 block diagram / schematic is important, good components with good selection and it will be here forever.

sorry have to disagree with the voyager sounds like a minimoog comment, sure it soudns similer but its no minimoog ;)

hamburgers

Post by hamburgers »

textile wrote:

puh
i love them

and i love love love alternative parts

textile

Post by textile »

:) Each to their own , there are some software thats innovative , symptohm is just fantastic, but I just enjoy hardware a lot more.
Computers are the ultimate digital synth. I just get a little lost twiddling and not enough jamming.

I knew someone was going to say that about the voyager!! :lol:
Agreed its no minimoog but it retains its character, its an evolution of a tried and tested synth which IMO paid off and has ensured its own survival.

e:pp:ik

Post by e:pp:ik »

Ok which one of you cleaned out the shop!!? Fess up!

:D

paradigm x

Post by paradigm x »

gah!

Had a quick look with a view to buying meself a kit, for a long term build.

With gaetanoes rare parts I assume the rest are easy to source?

altitude

Post by altitude »

Paradigm X wrote:gah!

Had a quick look with a view to buying meself a kit, for a long term build.

With gaetanoes rare parts I assume the rest are easy to source?

yes. This may be a website issue though so someone should confirm this

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “x0x shop”