BUYER BEWARE - Chahae Yasaena "cy" Technology Transplant

Trading post for x0xen, x0x parts, axles, pelts and tobacco

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
adafruit

BUYER BEWARE - Chahae Yasaena "cy" Technology Transplant

Post by adafruit »

if you placed a "group buy" order with cy in these forums i suggest you ask the order to go on hold for now - we have been trying to contact cy and his fax machine is disconnected, email accounts bouncing, mail address is sketchy (it appears he's really in shenzhen, china) and phone numbers did not work. cy promised to get back to us and he has not.

the issue is - he is taking credit for the x0xb0x, mass manufacturing x0xb0xes, selling them for profit and refuses to abide by the license on our page:
http://www.ladyada.net/make/x0xb0x/download.html

we asked that he credit us as the designer and link to our site, pretty simple. i asked dan (in these forums, coordinating a group buy) to consider holding off on on the sale because this feels very wrong to take money while this happening. dan has been very helpful trying to convince cy to credit us (and other buyers have also told cy to do this) but cy has refused and also not responded to our emails.

we're giving this another 24 hours and then we'll figure out what we need to do.

if you bought one of these please contact us directly, perhaps you can help us resolve this. $6k to a stranger who is across the world and not doing a simple thing like crediting the designers of the product they're now selling and making money from is a bad sign and we do not want anyone to lose their money, or worse, damage the project's reputation and fun.

here's is the latest email/fax we sent to cy after dozens of emails and attempts.
To: Chahae Yasaena 2305 Celina Dr. 73130-7530 Midwest City, OK United States Phone: 405-277-0889 Fax: 877-254-0629 Email: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]

Attention Chahae Yasaena (“cy”)
As per our email, this fax contains the written request that you (chipsforbrains, technology transplant, ROLLIN-MOSS) immediately update your page (http://www.technologytransplant.com/xox ... tinfo.html), eBay pages, documentation and circuit boards to reflect the following:
1. Credit Adafruit as the designer, creator and copyright holder of the x0xb0x. "x0xb0x originally designed by Adafruit industries" with a link to: http://www.adafruit.com
2. Also, add the credit(s) to the circuit board if you're selling it which it appears you are.
3. Your document hosted on your site also contains our text without permission. We will grant you permission to use it pro- vided you credit Adafruit as the designer and creator of the x0xb0x. "x0xb0x originally designed by Adafruit industries" with a link to: http://www.adafruit.com http://technologytransplant.com/xoxbox/UserManual2.doc
Please let us know if you have any questions or wish to discuss this matter. Please make these updates and changes by end of business day 5/28/2010 - we understand the circuit boards may require a sticker or intermediate solution until the next board run.
cy's address says "Chahae Yasaena 2305 Celina Dr. 73130-7530 Midwest City, OK United States" but it appears he is actually in China - shenzhen, guangdong, guangzhou. if you're a buyer you should request his real address whatever that might be. it's unclear if Chahae Yasaena is his real name as well.

his ebay store states that he is in the united states http://myworld.ebay.com/chipforbrains/ but he's operating from outside the usa. ebay usually does not allow or like when someone says they're in the usa in the "Business Seller Information" area and they're actually in another country. for business sellers this is usually against their terms of services for the protection of the buyers.
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-BLUE-LED-XOXBOX ... 439f7790e3

Updates here: http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=18854

timetraveller

Re: BUYER BEWARE - Chahae Yasaena "cy" Technology Transplant

Post by timetraveller »

Rather than cc'ing all ebay sellers of the xoxbox (except xoxsource) and your public slander and publishing of personal information of others. It might be suggestable copying your request (with replies to questions posed) in the appropriate forum here as was initially suggested. It that someone named 'limor fried' applied for copyright of the tb-303 clone, counterfeit whatever. You were explained to that Ebay auctions after bids cannot be modified.
Store inventory with old description was removed after your request. And have no control of what other sellers put in their adverts.

--------------

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

timetraveller wrote:Rather than cc'ing all ebay sellers of the xoxbox (except xoxsource) and your public slander and publishing of personal information of others. It might be suggestable copying your request (with replies to questions posed) in the appropriate forum here as was initially suggested. It that someone named 'limor fried' applied for copyright of the tb-303 clone, counterfeit whatever. You were explained to that Ebay auctions after bids cannot be modified. Store inventory with old description was removed after your request. And have no control of what other sellers put in their adverts.--------------
if you are "cy" please update your page and credit us as the designers of the x0xb0x if you wish to continue to sell our designs, otherwise do not sell them. we understand you cannot modify an ebay page, but you can edit your pages on your site immediately (you said you would) and you've refused to do so, dan said you have a page that is updated and that you promised to credit us, where is it?

if you can't support the project you're making profit on by crediting the designers it seems unlikely to use you're going to support your customers. please contact us when you update the pages as you promised dan and others and we will update this post.

cy, you should be able to post to this thread if you'd like.

hamburgers

Post by hamburgers »

adafruit wrote: if you can't support the project you're making profit on by crediting the designers it seems unlikely to use you're going to support your customers.
TT?

support?

har har

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

here's update from today we received via email

---------- Forwarded message ----------
To: Adafruit <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 11:07 AM
Subject: Order confirmation with me Chahae Yasaena

Hi,

Just to keep things straight. Again, I will as I can this week since I lost last week in wasted time from stress injuries during the slander session,.
Personally inspect each box so that I can have the order to Dan by the 11th of July, 2010, this year within the 1-2 weeks time-frame originally stated.
And will be fully in compliance to the licensing terms as requested by adafruit as anything involving the xoxbox having thus been advised without previous knowledge.
Sometimes in reverse engineering machines. You don't see the outside of the box. I'm sure in reverse engineering a tb-303. This approach may not be disupted.

Thank you so much, and give you my word I will invest every penny in giving back to the community that gave, and so much more.

Sincerely, cy

wonkyfunk303

Post by wonkyfunk303 »

this the same person??

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-BLUE-LED-XOXB ... 43a02b0903

selling them well cheap.

Other item info
Item number: 290449983747
Item location: technologytransplantDOTcom, Hong Kong
Post to: Europe, United States, Australia, Canada, Japan

Seller info
Member ID chipforbrains ( Feedback score of 5787Green star icon for Feedback score between 5,000 to 9,999)
99.5% Positive feedback
Contact seller
Save this seller to your favourite sellers list
See other items from this seller
Registered as a Business Seller

£333 each?? mine cost £430 from x0xs0rce.com (via ebay)

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

wonkyfunk303 wrote:this the same person??
same person, and we've asked him to remove this text.

========================================================

cy, you need to remove this text on your auction immediately:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 2759.l1259

"Software support, should be directed to the creators at [email protected] or [email protected] will also provide plenty of really fruity replies. "

dan, i've cc'ed you to show what cy is doing now - this isn't how anyone should behave, please encourage him to remove the this text. we do not provide any software support.

========================================================

wonkyfunk303

Post by wonkyfunk303 »

yeah i did notice the 'fruity' replies bit. not sure if hes taking the mick or not but sounds a big sarcastic.

hope you get it all sorted.

willzyx music

Post by willzyx music »

I wounder if cy realizes that he mostly sells to the synth DIY community which dose not take kindly to this type of behavior.

This is just so wrong on every level. :evil:

wonkyfunk303

Post by wonkyfunk303 »

New on there: he is now selling 25 kits for £169.99+30crg....

Odd how he's doing that??

helyx525

Post by helyx525 »

Looks like he has now changed it to:
"Please note they don't sell or support the xoxbox or its community there, but do host a public forum for the project and do not want email to support at adafruit.com about this I'm told."

Personally, I dont blame Cy for being snarky. He emailed Adafruit above saying he would comply with their license agreement and they still left him listed as some kind of scammer. I emailed Adafruit photos, showing that I received the group-buy units and that he did in fact comply and put a sticker on the boards saying:
"designed by Adafruit Industries http://www.adafruit.com"

The truth is that the units were well made and myself and the other 4 US buyers are happy with what we got. Isak's units are still in transit to Israel, so you will have to wait a bit for his feedback.

Mr. Torrone, please do not send me any more personal email on this matter. The last time I tried to mediate between you and Cy I got parraded around the forums on a rail for not taking only your side. It seems to me that you want to present only the facts that make Adafruit look like a victim and leave out the rest. I still assert that this was a simple misunderstanding and you guys blew it way out of proportion.

isak

Post by isak »

Good to have u back Dan :mrgreen:

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

Helyx525 wrote:Personally, I dont blame Cy for being snarky. ... please do not send me any more personal email on this matter. The last time I tried to mediate between you and Cy I got parraded around the forums on a rail for not taking only your side. It seems to me that you want to present only the facts that make Adafruit look like a victim and leave out the rest. I still assert that this was a simple misunderstanding and you guys blew it way out of proportion.
the only victim it seems here is the project, customers and the community when cy is involved. on ebay buyers were assuming they were buying service and support from adafruit. once again cy purposely deceives customers and is selling something that is not his to sell. don't defend cy or say you don't "blame him for being snarky".

saying "fruity emails" and putting our personal email addresses claiming we support his cloned x0b0x was not appropriate, if anyone thinks that's ok, please reconsider your participation here, we are not going to allow cy to claim we are supporting his product. keep in mind cy did not reply to our email, you did, once again.

the only way cy did anything previously was with your help, and we thanked you for that and we'll thank you again (and thank -you- for putting the credit on the kits, cy did not).

past and current customers of his and people who have worked with cy sent us dozens of horrible stories. it appears he has only done harmful things to the community and customers. we were and still only interested in: 1)keeping this great project going. 2)making sure no one was getting ripped off and 3). we were credited properly on our design & hard work cy is selling for profit.

again, thanks for helping us out previously - we don't see any need to cc you on emails regarding this matter, he updated the page, again.

dnigrin

Post by dnigrin »

I'll second Isak's welcome - good to have you back Dan!

I'd just point out that on every other forum/mailing list that I participate in, Cy/Technology Transplant are very well regarded, and that people are pleased with the services he offers. I'm surprised to hear that Adafruit has gotten "dozens of horrible stories"; it goes quite contrary to what I've heard everywhere else.

Seems to me something must have gotten "lost in translation" very early on in this saga, and then it just spiraled downwards from there. I hope it is behind us!

isak

Post by isak »

Hi all

i just wanted to say that we in Israel are very very happy about the group buy, Helyx525 (Dan) and Cy did a great job with everything.
the x0x's sound very good, i was afraid after all the talking here that it will be crappy sound like, but i was happy to hear that its even sound better then my first x0x..? :shock:
the x0x contains replacements for some rare parts for example instead of 2SK30AO it haves K118, instead of 2SC536F it haves C1815, for Q11 it haves H945 with high beta, other then that all the rare ones are there, it really sound very very very good!

Cy was very cool with us, one of the units had a power issues : http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=16493
i emailed Cy and Dan about it while guest was helping me solve it, Cy said..
Isaak,

Hi. I hear you have a problem with your unit.

Are the others okay?

I will send out another one for you please forward your address and at least

1 telephone number for the paperwork.

Sorry this happened. Don't bother trouble shooting it.

I told Dan if I checked it, he checked it. Something came loose in transit (solder).

Sincerely, cy
less then a week the new x0x was in Israel in my hand without sending him the the power issues one!
so now i have 3 x0x's 8)

BTW for the people that crediting them is there life... i got the new x0x with a sticker that says "DESIGN BY ADAFRUIT INDUSTRIES" and a link to there site.

the transaction was smooth with Dan he did such a great job with everything!
a quote from one of my guys
Dear Dan!
Thank you very much for making 8 people here very happy!
myself included. Thank you Thank you Thank you
and to Cy and Isak whom without this could never be

Thanks and with very best regards, Manny
and there is more if u want!

all the trouble of trying to heart Dan and Cy was for nothing!, Adafruit lost one of the brilliant guys i have ever meet in my life..and i'm talking about Dan.
he could have contribute a lot to the x0x community and u guys let him go..not to mention Cy and TT good reputation.
u know everyone in Israel new about what was going on here and still they believed in me, my feelings never failed me!
i hope Adafruit is happy with there action.
peace and love
Isak

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “x0x shop”