The best sounding xoxbox

Trading post for x0xen, x0x parts, axles, pelts and tobacco

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
skillybob

The best sounding xoxbox

Post by skillybob »

Hi everyone!!

I´m thinking of buying a xoxbox and I have read all I can find about it. My question, which I hope you can help me with is this:
From where should I order my xox to get the best sounding box?

I first thought that "touched by sound" was a good idea, but some of you here seem a little disappointed with it.
Xoxshop.de have got some good reviews and they have a built box for 499 Euro.
The Beast.co.uk seems to be the best choise (according to some) and they have on for 500£. Is it worth the extra money?

And last, willzyx.com have some kits for 370$. Everyone seem happy with the service from him, but how do they sound?

I would be very happy if I could get some input and thoughts about this:-)

Thanks everyone
Johan Hansson

Luap

Re: The best sounding xoxbox

Post by Luap »

Do you want a kit? Or a fully built one? Not all the places you mentioned do both.
Also, where are you located? This can make a huge difference regarding final cost, built or otherwise (Because of import taxes/duty etc)

Plus, for the best sound (although this is subjective) it pays to be choosey about what parts go in to it, as there is a range of different ones you can use which are largely still authentic to the original 303.

That said, of the 2 I built, the kit I got from x0xsh0p.de sounds best to me. But again, I specified some specific parts for it that cost a little extra.. Still, Christian from the x0xsh0p is very helpful, so worth talking to, especially if you are in Europe.

skillybob

Post by skillybob »

Thanks for your answer. I think I would like to buy one that's already assembled this time. I might want to order a kit later. I live in stockholm, Sweden so both the beast and xoxshop would work great for me.

Which specific parts did you order for your machine, and how much extra did it cost? Have you recorded anything I can hear? It would be great to hear your machine:-)

Thanks
Johan

Luap

Post by Luap »

Yes, I would go for a European supplier then ;)
Im sure you'd be happy with one from x0xsh0p.de And Christian from there is on these forums, so you could PM him if you want (Substyler). I know he's very busy with various things these days, but im sure he'll help you.

Some of this is perhaps personal preference, but going by my own experience, and on what I have read/heard here etc..
I prefer the 945 series transistors over the 536s.. I don't think those will cost you any extra (you'd have to check). I think it is also worth going for the 733AP transistors, over the 733P's that come with many x0xb0xes these days. Last time I looked (On x0xsh0p.de), these cost an extra €30.
There are other small things you could change, but the difference is negligible at best, and the parts can be expensive. You could always add them later if you wanted though.

I don't have any recordings of that particular x0xb0x uploaded, but perhaps i'll add one here later Or.. Go to Substylers Youtube channel, where he has got lots of recordings of the machines he has built: http://www.youtube.com/user/hartig1967#g/u I believe his "Special black edition" has the same parts inside that I mentioned.
I know Youtube can sound less than perfect, but I think all the important things you need to hear come through just fine 8)

skillybob

Post by skillybob »

Thanks once again!!

I Pm´d him with some questions:-)

I just read that willzyx is the new official xoxbox provider, do you know which components he and, before him, adafruit uses. Is it those you wrote about or are they new improvements?

/Johan

Luap

Post by Luap »

Im sure the Willyz ones are good. But "Official" doesn't really mean so much in this case, as many other builders are authorised and reputable too. I know Willyz got the remaining Adafruit stock, and I have bought numerous x0xb0x parts from Adafruit. If Willyz hasn't changed anything since taking it on, then I think you'd get good parts, but perhaps not the most optimal ones (again, this is subjective!). That said, im sure you could ask him what is used in the kit, and if other parts are available as an option? Plus, I believe he only sells kits, and you said you wanted a built one? On top of that, you would have the import duty/taxes to consider, which I don't think you would have from Substyler in Germany.

I've not bought an assembled x0xb0x from Substyler. Just the kit, plus numerous other parts for my other x0xb0x. He has also built a lot more x0xb0xes than I have, so definitely knows what he is doing.
Here is a very quick demo I threw together of my Substyler sourced kit. Raw, except for a spot of reverb.
http://tinyurl.com/subx0x
Spec =
2SC945 transistors instead of 2SC536 (both are authentic, but I think 945's sound better)
2SA733AP transistors instead of 2SA733P (only the AP's are authentic, but do cost a little more)
Other stuff that doesn't really make a difference to the sound:
BA662 VCA instead of the BA6110 substitute used in kits (Authentic part. Sourced myself. But expensive, hard to get, and not really worth it)
Sokkos firmware.
Bass boost mod (not used in the demo)
Custom knobs and other small things I forgot..

While I am here, he makes/sells some very nice 303 style panels too, which both my x0xb0xes have.

Sorry for the slightly crappy phone cam pict.. The x0xsh0p/Substyler kit in the demo is the left one btw.. Black one on the right was self sourced, with a few parts from Substyler.

skillybob

Post by skillybob »

Great, Thanks for all your help, I think you have convinced me now:-)

Just one more thing. Is the xoxbox fully controllable via MIDI, for instance using logic? Or can it just receive MIDI clock qnd start stop?

Once again a big big thank you, you've been very kind and helpful!

Johan

paradigm x

Post by paradigm x »

I bought a 'thebeast' completed one, looks and sounds great, he sounds like he knows what hes doing and has been doing 303/606 mods for years. Apparently all the right bits inside. Sounds fab to me.

Luap

Post by Luap »

skillybob wrote:Great, Thanks for all your help, I think you have convinced me now:-)

Just one more thing. Is the xoxbox fully controllable via MIDI, for instance using logic? Or can it just receive MIDI clock qnd start stop?

Once again a big big thank you, you've been very kind and helpful!

Johan
Very welcome :D
They have good midi support. So you can sequence it from Logic directly if you wanted, ie, use it a bit like a midi sound module (I use Logic too). It will also spit out the patterns from the midi out port, so you can record the pattern as midi into Logic. Plus it does clock sync and start stop etc.
The control knobs are entirely analogue though, so you can't record/replay knob movements. I don't mind that though, as it's more fun to record that stuff live anyway.

phono

Post by phono »

Luap wrote:Im sure the Willyz ones are good. But "Official" doesn't really mean so much in this case, as many other builders are authorised and reputable too. I know Willyz got the remaining Adafruit stock, and I have bought numerous x0xb0x parts from Adafruit. If Willyz hasn't changed anything since taking it on, then I think you'd get good parts, but perhaps not the most optimal ones (again, this is subjective!). That said, im sure you could ask him what is used in the kit, and if other parts are available as an option? Plus, I believe he only sells kits, and you said you wanted a built one? On top of that, you would have the import duty/taxes to consider, which I don't think you would have from Substyler in Germany.

I've not bought an assembled x0xb0x from Substyler. Just the kit, plus numerous other parts for my other x0xb0x. He has also built a lot more x0xb0xes than I have, so definitely knows what he is doing.
Here is a very quick demo I threw together of my Substyler sourced kit. Raw, except for a spot of reverb.
http://tinyurl.com/subx0x
Spec =
2SC945 transistors instead of 2SC536 (both are authentic, but I think 945's sound better)
2SA733AP transistors instead of 2SA733P (only the AP's are authentic, but do cost a little more)
Other stuff that doesn't really make a difference to the sound:
BA662 VCA instead of the BA6110 substitute used in kits (Authentic part. Sourced myself. But expensive, hard to get, and not really worth it)
Sokkos firmware.
Bass boost mod (not used in the demo)
Custom knobs and other small things I forgot..

While I am here, he makes/sells some very nice 303 style panels too, which both my x0xb0xes have.

Sorry for the slightly crappy phone cam pict.. The x0xsh0p/Substyler kit in the demo is the left one btw.. Black one on the right was self sourced, with a few parts from Substyler.
Got to love those panels :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Luap

Post by Luap »

phono wrote: Got to love those panels :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I do.. I DO!! :D
You did well with that, and they look much nicer in metal form.. The picture doesn't do them justice..

phono

Post by phono »

Luap wrote:
phono wrote: Got to love those panels :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I do.. I DO!! :D
You did well with that, and they look much nicer in metal form.. The picture doesn't do them justice..
Substyler did a much better job than the original overlays too, really crisp looking

substyler

Post by substyler »

thank you guys ;)
but wait for the aluminum enclosures wich are still in production :mrgreen:
I think in week 43 or 44 I'll have the first load

xler8ed

GET The best xoxbox kit from the official supplier

Post by xler8ed »

skillybob wrote:Thanks once again!!

I Pm´d him with some questions:-)

I just read that willzyx is the new official xoxbox provider, do you know which components he and, before him, adafruit uses. Is it those you wrote about or are they new improvements?

/Johan
ox

I hope you have not ordered yet I just ran across your question and I can see you don't really have much input here for the new ADAfruit official x0xb0x suppler who is willzyx aka James.

I live on the east coast of the USA and I have ordered twice from James. Once for a completed x0xb0x and once recently for a kit. James' kits are complete there is nothing for you to go buy or scout out online other than your soider iron,lsome solder and a table. He includes the box for the kit and the 9 volt adapter (someone buying the wrong adapter from the start can be a very frustrating if not damaging error).

The parts he includes are all very good quality I had experience with building before the x0xb0x and James is supplying in his kits very nice parts that are not the cheap generics.These are very nice capaciitors and well formed resistors. Nothing is worn or chipped they are all shiny and quality brands he must have a really good supplier. More importantly there is one chip in the build that has to be soldered no matter who you buy from if its a kit.

There is a difficult chip in the building of a x0xb0x power board and this is where a lot of builders fail. The chip that must be sildered is not typical for a stabdard soldering gun and a weekend project. It is almost like a processor super micro, lots of tiny pins that must be aligned and soldered separately and its a bit*h to solder. James offers service to mount the chip for you.I think a magnifyer is needed to see and solder the pins correctly, thats how small it is . Realize its part of the building of a x0xb0x not just his kit, some sellers of kits do not even mention that you are going to be faced with this. If you build a x0xb0x it is going to be there and has to be done by someone. James can do this for you and his skills are professional.

The parts he includes are complete with a bill of materials listing each and every part, with photos and the parts ARE METICULOUSLY PUT INTO INDIVIUAL FOIL BAGS AND THEN BUBBLE WRAPPED. I don't know how he finds the time to do this for every kit but it makes all the difference in the world. Other types of kits I have built came with a bag of resistors that were all different sizes. Have you experience in reading the color bands from resistors to know which are what size and what to use where? If you are not familiar get a resistor chart free off the net and see what I mean. With James' kit (adafruit official) you won't be doing any color band reading.

Tonight I just read a reply to a question I had (really, before I read your question and because I am building) he always replys timely and he is very helpful and friendly. ADAfruit picked the right guy. The build manual is extensive and tells every single step that correspond to your labeled parts bags. The build manual has photos for each step and also how to test the boards along the way to ensure a x0xb0x that works when you finish not a dead bundle of parts. I could not be happier and cannot say enough about what a great job is doing. James is in Asia so it is no issue for him to ship to you in europe which would probably be faster than me on the usa east coast. Mine arrived in 4 days both times.

I am sure other people have kits that work and people have had good experiences but I don't see how you can go wrong with James, just show him the respect you would like to receive, and he will watch your back like he's your brother. I am sure about James(new official ADAfruit x0xb0x supplier).-Sam

[edited by mome rath--that was a hell of a block of text, man]
mome rath-very good, sorry you had to do that -[and for all] I am not as x0xb0x educated as mome rath and some of the other x0xb0x dedicated-but I'm getting there, thanks
Last edited by xler8ed on Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

antto

Post by antto »

the dificult part you mention is the USB chip

btw, by reading all of this.. i'm tempted in buying a kit myself too (it's cheaper)
oh god..
one more x0xb0x is never too much :mrgreen:

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “x0x shop”