n0nx0x2 alu front panels (2nd groupbuy)

Trading post for x0xen, x0x parts, axles, pelts and tobacco

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
rv0

n0nx0x2 alu front panels (2nd groupbuy)

Post by rv0 »

n0nx0x2 is a great 303 style OS for your x0xb0x, but requires a special front panel because the key layout has been adapted to the original 303 controls.

Last year a small group buy was successfully organized. All leftover panels have been sold and people are asking for more panels, so if there is enough demand, another batch can be manufactured. The price per panel was 35 euro. (This can get a little cheaper if we order in even larger quantities this time)

>>>> Sign up for a panel here (no initial deposit required)

Click image for bigger

The panels are high quality, 2 color print, anodized aluminum. They are scratch proof and light & chemical resistant (so they will last a very long time)

Note:
- n0nx0x requires a x0xlarge cpu. As a service they can be delivered along with a panel.
- flat top leds are not advised, they are a very tight fit.

rarara

Re: n0nx0x2 alu front panels (2nd groupbuy)

Post by rarara »

interested, but are there no cheaper alternatives than the largecpu? 45 euros is quite steep :shock:

rv0

Post by rv0 »

rarara wrote:interested, but are there no cheaper alternatives than the largecpu? 45 euros is quite steep :shock:
hmm the cpu is needed because the standard x0x cpu does not offer enough space for the code.

so depends on how you look at it. The cpu offers a lot more possibilities compared to the standard atmel chip in the x0x
the cpu itself is an ATmega2561, you _could_ make your own daughterboard for it (the design IS open source), but I doubt you can build the whole thing at the same quality standard for less money (the chip itself is already 15 euros on mouser). This is a plug and play experience.

compare with quicksilver 303 upgrade ( a great upgrade btw! ), at +$275, I don't think 45 euro is a lot of money, considering the software it can run (mainly n0nx0x, which imho is lightyears ahead of any other 303 clone sequencer), midi upgradeability, and the future expandability (loads of code space, spare pins), i'd say it's a very fair price for such an upgrade.

as a 303 enthousiast myself, I could not even imagine using a x0xb0x without it, though I'm biased in all this.

rarara

Post by rarara »

it will be tempting when i nail the 303 sound i am after - its too pricey for a cpu and faceplate until then :cry:

rv0

Post by rv0 »

rarara wrote:it will be tempting when i nail the 303 sound i am after - its too pricey for a cpu and faceplate until then :cry:
Funny thing.. over the past few months I installed n0nx0x2 for quite a few people, and one thing most of them always said after jamming with it in my studio: "hmm it seems to sound better"
of course this has 2 obvious reasons:
- BANNED: it looks more like a 303 with the front panel, so this triggers some mechanism in the brain associating it with the real thing, same thing happened with the TT303, which in a lot of areas are much worse sounding than a x0x, but it looks like a 303 so people say it sounds like the real thing.
- the sequencer: regular x0xb0x OS allows you to easily program stuff that is not possible on a 303 (slide on rest, double octave up) .. all these features will result in very un-303 sounding patterns. n0nx0x is true to the original 303 sequencer (uses exact same pattern format), so it restricts you into making 303 sounding patterns.
:idea:

rarara

Post by rarara »

if the difference in sequencer is beneficial, does that therefore suggest then that the original n0nx0x would similarly have that feel? i may put it back on again and see if i can detect any difference

rv0

Post by rv0 »

rarara wrote:if the difference in sequencer is beneficial, does that therefore suggest then that the original n0nx0x would similarly have that feel? i may put it back on again and see if i can detect any difference
I would not recommend that, the n0nx0x beta is very incomplete and full of bugs. It was abandoned quickly because the orginal cpu is too small.

antto

Post by antto »

n0nx0x2 is very different from n0nx0x beta
n0nx0x beta had the same goal, but then it took a slightly wrong path, and didn't reach far
and it's basically broken, i don't even want to think about it

n0nx0x2 is taking shape, i've recorded a bunch of videos, and written a manual.. so if anything isn't clear - i can make more videos perhaps

it'd be nice if someone who has more toys would also make videos with n0nx0x2 in action

the FW doesn't magically change the sound of the synth, the cpu is only connected to the synth via Pitch, Gate, Accent and Slide
however, the 303 was limited in a specific way to how it can control the synth
many FWs let you do more than what the 303 is able to do.. n0nx0x2 keeps it more strict
one example is "slide-from-rest" i spot it immediately when i hear it.. bassbot does it too often, the folks aren't even aware of it i bet

does any of this matter? well.. i wouldn't want another sequencer on my x0x
but i'm strongly biased :mrgreen:

rv0

Post by rv0 »

Just a quick update to say that panels are ordered and will arrive next week.
Due to success of the groupbuy, I will only have a very small amount of leftover panels, so if you want one, now's the time to use the contact form on rv0.be ;)
After that I may, or may not, organise a 3rd group buy, depending on demand.

I'm actually looking forward on designing a panel for the x0xI0 and organizing a smaller scale group buy for it..

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “x0x shop”