source for small composite CRT for ybox?

Talk about YBoxen, widgets, Propeller hacking, etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
uberhund

source for small composite CRT for ybox?

Post by uberhund »

Anybody know a source for a composite video CRT monitors for a YBox implementation?

With the commercial TV digital conversion, supplies by commercial providers have dried up. Surely there are tons of these things lurking in attics around the world.

I need one or two bare bones CRTs: 2 to 5 inches diagonal; monochrome of any color; NTSC; its own power supply, and a working composite video interface.

Used and/or surplus would be fine as long as it works, and there is no burn in (yet) on the phosphors. For the purposes of this project, I cannot use an LED or LCD equivalent, even though these are now easy to acquire.

My usual sources (Electronic Goldmine, BGMicro, eBay, Amazon) have failed me.

Thanks for any suggestions.

westfw

Re: source for small composite CRT for ybox?

Post by westfw »

Actual CRTs with composite video input have been in short supply for a long time, what with most TV sets having (multiple) composite inputs, and most monitors for computers having switched to higher speed interfaces (EGA, VGA, etc.) Standardizing on computer monitors (even as far back as "Hercules" monochrome adapters) that were NOT compatible with normal video was pretty much the death knell for cheap surplus composite video monitors.
And I don't think that the size you're interested in was ever very common. Oscilloscope tubes were never composite. There was an article recently on using the viewfinders from old camcorders (eg full sized VHS video camera), but those are smaller (and I can't find the article. grr. But see http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/bchafy/tiny ... minal.html )

richms

Post by richms »

My supermarket always used to get in some $20 CRT TVs - 5 or 6" black and white ones with a knob tuned tuner. With no analog over there now tho, I guess it wont be something that gets sold much now, but you might want to see if canada or mexico retailers have anything still.

I used to have 3 of them hooked up to a dodgey run of cat5 to show 3 cameras before I got around to getting a quad unit.

uberhund

Post by uberhund »

Yes, I saw (and once scorned) those $20 b&w things in super markets just a few months ago. Less than a year, seriously.

Oh to have a couple now. Where DID they all go to?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “YBox2 (discontinued)”