Adding a Serial Port

Talk about YBoxen, widgets, Propeller hacking, etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
cmptrgeekken

Adding a Serial Port

Post by cmptrgeekken »

Has anyone attempted to add a serial I/O port to the ybox2? I'm new to electronics and such, and bought the ybox2 off of ThinkGeek mainly because I wanted a real-world device that I could gain more experience with. I've decided I'd like to work with the Parallax Propeller chip for an independent study I'm doing over the summer where I'll be controlling some Pioneer robots, which communicate via a serial port. Would the I/O port be too great an undertaking, or is it doable with this board (I understand that this would most likely involve a secondary board to tie everything into)?

I also just came across the Propeller Professional Development Board which appears to have a serial I/O port, but I'm not sure if that's just for programming or if it's a fully-integrated serial port. If the port can be fully-utilized, I may consider investing in that and using this ybox2 for some experimentation elsewhere.

I'm open to any suggestions people may have.

adafruit

Re: Adding a Serial Port

Post by adafruit »

the propeller definately has serial objects that you can run and probably has built in uart support on the programming & debugging pins (you program it via seriaL) we suggest checking out the parallax propeller tutorial books and object library

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “YBox2 (discontinued)”