Not getting IP

Talk about YBoxen, widgets, Propeller hacking, etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mccurry

Not getting IP

Post by mccurry »

I got my ybox up and running and I can't seem to get it to grab an IP, I know my router is good and the cable is good, and dhcp server is running, there is no MAC filtering, I have other machines on same network, its fine. I tried connecting directly to the modem to see if it would grab an external IP and I got 5 beeps, and then one long beep.

Also: The link shows good on ybox and router, and the ybox has activity every few seconds. Its MAC doesn't show up on the dhcp clients list either.

darco

Post by darco »

Hmm... This may be a bug in the DHCP implementation.

I have no idea what the five beeps and then one long beep is. I don't remember coding anything that would do that.

If the ybox2 is connected to a network and it can't get a DHCP address after a few minutes, it will relax it's requirement of receiving a final ACK. So try leaving it connected for several minutes (at least 5) to your local LAN and see what happens.

What vendor of router are you using?

mccurry

Router

Post by mccurry »

WRT54GS v5, I have a wrt54g as well. if you think that will help

darco

Post by darco »

I have access to one of those devices, although their firmware has been upgraded to DD-WRT. Let me know if the waiting 5 minutes thing works.

Do you have a Mac? If so, you could run tcpdump... let me know and I'll give you the right command to get me the info I need.

mccurry

ok

Post by mccurry »

No MAC, I run Linux though... let me know what to do and I am down, the router I am using doesn't support dd-wrt so I can switch to a wrt54g, not gs if it would help. I was trying to get this done before friday.

btw: I left it running for 5-10min last night no change.

darco

Post by darco »

Why don't you go ahead and see if the DHCP server on the WRT54G works. It may be a different implementation. If it works on that then I'll have a little more info to go on.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

I've tested my ybox extensively on a 'stock' wrt54gl and it works perfectly. dunno what the diff between that and the non-l is tho

predatorcoder

Post by predatorcoder »

Wireshark would also be a handy cross-platform tool with a nice GUI. I use it all the time when testing embedded Ethernet. It should let you save the dump if I recall, although I've never needed to do that.

Going from memory here...

WRT54G, older revisions: runs Linux. Newer ones run VxWorks as they stripped down flash / RAM to save cost. There are hacks to run Linux but not worth it IMHO due to the low memory.

WRT54GL: similar to WRT54G but more memory, runs Linux. Released when they switched the original to VxWorks.

WRT54GS: WRT54G with "SpeedBoost" or whatever they call it. Older run Linux, newer ones VxWorks. I think they released a Linux version too like they did with WRT54G after the VxWorks switch.

Personally I stick with Linux units myself. More memory = more flexibility with 3rd party firmware. And Linux is probably more stable than VxWorks. Certainly Linksys had problems with VxWorks initially, if I remember correctly. Load a well-maintained 3rd-party firmware and you've got a $400 unit in a $50 box. :)

I have the original WRT54GS. It's still the only one with the most flash and RAM, at least when I checked a year or two ago. :D I had no interest in SpeedBoost when I bought it, just wanted the extra memory. :)

darco

Re: Not getting IP

Post by darco »

If anyone out there has a WRT54G and has managed to get their ybox2 working to the point where they can upload stuff to it... Then I need your help!

I've made a few minor changes to the DHCP discover message that the bootloader firmware sends out, but I don't have a WRT54G to test with. If you have one, and you have a prop-plug (or some other way to update the firmware), it would be quite helpful to me if you could try upgrading to the following bootloader:

http://www.deepdarc.com/bootloader_v802.binary

Consider this a special case of the bootloader beta I mentioned a while back. So, please, if your bootloader isn't giving you problems and you don't have a WRT54G, I must recommend that you avoid installing this upgrade.

Let me know if you can now get a DHCP address!

psyicman

Re: Not getting IP

Post by psyicman »

I had this problem with the same router. I hooked it up to my laptop instead of my router and ran the free DHCP server on it and then locked in the IP from that. Havent played around with it much but i have fun running the twitter widget to watch some Podcaster tweets.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “YBox2 (discontinued)”