Bootloader Beta

Talk about YBoxen, widgets, Propeller hacking, etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
darco

Re: Bootloader Beta

Post by darco »

I just added a new beta bootloader, build 804. You can now erase passwords without doing a reset. It also has more robust EEPROM reads and writes. I'd especially like to get feedback from people who own WRT54G access points, to see if this build alleviates their DHCP issues.

http://www.deepdarc.com/bootloader_v804.binary

InsanePyros

Post by InsanePyros »

I haven't had a chance to try out the new bootloader yet, but I do have a feature request: the ability to start stage2 using a sony controller. I actually wrote this into the bootloader myself, but through a long chain of confusing events I bricked my ybox by doing it. Haven't had a chance to try and fix it with my ttl cable yet, but if I can get it working again I'll gladly try out the new bootloader.

darco

Post by darco »

Have you just tried using autoboot? I personally just use autoboot and I usually have a way to disable autoboot from the widget itself if I need to get to the bootloader (usually something like http://ybox2/reboot?bootloader)

InsanePyros

Post by InsanePyros »

darco wrote:Have you just tried using autoboot? I personally just use autoboot and I usually have a way to disable autoboot from the widget itself if I need to get to the bootloader (usually something like http://ybox2/reboot?bootloader)
I meant for use during development. I was writing a program to control the led with a sony remote and I felt kind of silly standing up and pressing a button in order to try out a program entirely controlled with a remote. It really only took a couple lines of code but it wasn't a big deal either.

abysmal

Post by abysmal »

I haven't looked yet, but seeing that you posted a binary, are you going to update code in the SVN library as well??

darco

Post by darco »

Code is already updated on SVN. I updated SVN right before I posted the binary.

abysmal

Post by abysmal »

Thanks Darco.. Did you see Harrison updated the network drivers on his site..

abysmal

Post by abysmal »

How can I get this onto my YBOX2 without a programming cable?

And without bricking it..

Abysmal

darco

Post by darco »

Instructions are in the first message on this thread.

If you are testing the WRT54G stuff, then keep in mind that you will need to use some other DHCP server to get the old bootloader booted first. After it is booted, you can then upload the new bootloader and go from there.

Keep in mind that my original disclaimer still applies. If you don't have a serial adapter, then installing this bootloader may not be the best idea. (I haven't had any problems, but that does necessarily n't mean that you won't)

abysmal

Post by abysmal »

darco wrote:Instructions are in the first message on this thread.

If you are testing the WRT54G stuff, then keep in mind that you will need to use some other DHCP server to get the old bootloader booted first. After it is booted, you can then upload the new bootloader and go from there.

Keep in mind that my original disclaimer still applies. If you don't have a serial adapter, then installing this bootloader may not be the best idea. (I haven't had any problems, but that does necessarily n't mean that you won't)

Sweet.. worked like a charm.. now I can test if i wired the led correct..

Yeah... all working..

darco

Post by darco »

So, just to be clear, you are saying that you are using a WRT54G, and with 804/806 bootloader you can successfully get a DHCP address?

abysmal

Post by abysmal »

darco wrote:So, just to be clear, you are saying that you are using a WRT54G, and with 804/806 bootloader you can successfully get a DHCP address?
no but I can plug in my wrt54g tommorow and try.. its not running stock firmware though.. i runn dd-wrt, would that matter?

darco

Post by darco »

Yes, that would matter. But, nonetheless, it would be good to know if it ran from dd-wrt as well.

presence

Post by presence »

darco wrote:Yes, that would matter. But, nonetheless, it would be good to know if it ran from dd-wrt as well.
For what its worth, I originally had the stock YBox2 wired to a DD-WRT-converted Linksys WRT54G, but the router was set in "Bridge" mode. The DD-WRT box bridged the wireless from an Apple Airport Extreme NAT/DHCP router and provided the YBox2 wired ethernet. The YBox2 nabbed a DHCP address without any problems in THAT particular setup.

With the updated bootloader (1.01a806) on the YBox2, and my DD-WRT Linksys WRT54GS at work that does NAT/DCHP itself, the YBox2 easily grabs DHCP from the DD-WRT router.

Coniferous

Post by Coniferous »

Just updated to bootloader v1.1a806. I used the Curl method and had no problems. Static IP works perfect.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “YBox2 (discontinued)”