ybox2 errata

Talk about YBoxen, widgets, Propeller hacking, etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
darco

ybox2 errata

Post by darco »

This thread is tracking errata for the ybox2. It will be updated as issues are brought to my attention.

HW v1.1 errata

* Pin 7 (write protect) on the EEPROM needs to be explicitly pulled low. This prevents spurious write problems.
...according to the datasheet this pin will be internally pulled low if left unconnected... but apparently this isn't always the case.

Adding a haywire from pin7 (the only unconnected pin on the EEPROM) to a pin on the other side of the chip (which are all connected to VSS) fixed his problems.

I would recommend everyone doing the same at some point, especially before upgrading the bootloader if you don't have a prop-plug.
* Pin 5 of the ENC28J60 should be left unconnected, instead of being connected to an I/O pin on the propeller.

* Pin 8 on the pulsejack needs to be connected to GND, not VSS.

Bootloader v1.0 errata

* DHCP doesn't seem to work with Linksys WRT54G & WRT54GS routers with stock firmware. (Still under investigation. See this post for more info.)

* Green and blue LED's are swapped.

* TCP implementation doesn't retransmit packets

* You can't remove a password without doing a full reset. (Fixed in v804)
Last edited by darco on Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:46 am, edited 5 times in total.

balefrost

Post by balefrost »

I just assembled mine, and it looks like all three of the LED colors are rotated. In the www example widget, here is what I select and what I get:

Red -> Blue
Green -> Red
Blue -> Green
Yellow (red + green?) -> Purple (blue + red) (actually looks like pink, but that might just be the lighting)

I checked it against the build instructions on ladyada's site, and I think I did everything correctly.

darco

Post by darco »

This is fixed in the latest boot rom.

bluej774

Re: ybox2 errata

Post by bluej774 »

darco wrote:This thread is tracking errata for the ybox2. It will be updated as issues are brought to my attention.

HW v1.1 errata

* Pin 7 (write protect) on the EEPROM needs to be explicitly pulled low.

* Pin 5 of the ENC28J60 should be left unconnected.

Bootloader v1.0 errata

* DHCP doesn't seem to work with Linksys WRT54GS routers. (Still under investigation. See this post for more info.)

* Green and blue LED's are swapped.

* TCP implementation doesn't retransmit packets
Has this information been updated on the soldering instructions page?

psyicman

Post by psyicman »

It dosent like the Linksys WRT54G v8 also.

psyicman

Post by psyicman »

How I resolved my issuse with window vista and Linksys WRT54G wireless router:

1. Hooked my ybox2 directly into my seconday ethernet slot.

2. Bridged the connection

3. Ran the DHCP server.

4. Right clicked the bridged connection went to Properties

5. Clicked Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)

6. Clicked Properties

7. Clicked Use the Following IP address and filled in the one under the DHCP server (file dhcpsrv configurations setting) for the ybox2 MAC address and gatway.

8. Clicked ok and dubble checked to see if I could get the bootloader page on my web browser.

That seemed to get most of my issues. Hope this helps. Let me know if you think I left out anything.

MajorGrubert

Post by MajorGrubert »

bluej774 wrote:
darco wrote:This thread is tracking errata for the ybox2. It will be updated as issues are brought to my attention.

HW v1.1 errata

* Pin 7 (write protect) on the EEPROM needs to be explicitly pulled low.

* Pin 5 of the ENC28J60 should be left unconnected.

Has this information been updated on the soldering instructions page?
Looking at the soldering instructions page I believe the answer is not, so I would like to ask: how critical are these fixes? Since they involve adding haywires and cutting traces, I'd rather make these changes before I start assembling my newly arrived kit. Are they mandatory?

darco

Post by darco »

I have made 5 ybox2s so far, and none of them have the errata changes applied. I have had zero problems.

I would only apply the EEPROM fix if you have problems writing to the EEPROM. Since I haven't, I haven't had the need. Nonetheless, other people have had problems that were fixed by doing this. It is a fairly low-risk fix and very easy to do after the kit is built, but certainly not required in most cases.

I would only cut the trace to pin 5 of the ENC28J60 if you really need the I/O pin. The risks of cutting the wrong trace outweigh the benefits unless you really need the extra I/O pin. Despite the fact that the datasheet says to leave it unconnected, it doesn't seem to hurt anything to leave it as-is.

I hope that clarifies things.

MajorGrubert

Post by MajorGrubert »

@darco,

it's clear now. I will apply the EEPROM fix if I try to replace the bootloader, and leave the other ones aside. Thank you.

E_Don

Post by E_Don »

Psyicman wrote:How I resolved my issuse with window vista and Linksys WRT54G wireless router:

1. Hooked my ybox2 directly into my seconday ethernet slot.

2. Bridged the connection

3. Ran the DHCP server.

4. Right clicked the bridged connection went to Properties

5. Clicked Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)

6. Clicked Properties

7. Clicked Use the Following IP address and filled in the one under the DHCP server (file dhcpsrv configurations setting) for the ybox2 MAC address and gatway.

8. Clicked ok and dubble checked to see if I could get the bootloader page on my web browser.

That seemed to get most of my issues. Hope this helps. Let me know if you think I left out anything.
what do you mean in #2 by bridging the connection? im new to this =(

samirsky

Post by samirsky »

Psyicman wrote:It dosent like the Linksys WRT54G v8 also.
It doesn't like my 3COM router (3CRWE51196). Doesn't get IP address. Took Ybox2 to work and it got IP address. Upgraded bootloader, no change.

darco

Post by darco »

I'm not sure what is wrong. All of my routers work. I can't fix what I can't see. :(

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “YBox2 (discontinued)”