SD card not recognized on datalogging shield

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
BF72

SD card not recognized on datalogging shield

Post by BF72 »

Hello, I have an SD card that I know is good because it works with my Arduino Ethernet shield with Arduino Uno. However when I put the same SD card into my brand new Adafruit Datalogging shield and run the CardInfo sketch, it won't find/recognize the card.

I have tried/ensured the following:
- Assigned chipSelect CS to pin 10 (with the Datalogging shield; the Ethernet shield used pin 4)
- The wiring is good (zero resistance) on the Datalogging shield between pin 10 and the top right pin of the Shifter chip
- All header pins have been connected/soldered (yep, including 10,11,12,13) and connectivity checked
- The RTC is working fine
- I have tried three SD cards, all without success. All were formatted with SDFormatter
- The red SD LED lights up when I power up the board and run the CardInfo sketch. Otherwise it's off.

Thanks for any suggestions. I am reluctant to cut the trace to pin 10 and try the CS pin instead, since I don't want to void the warranty.

- Ben

Franklin97355

Re: SD card not recognized on datalogging shield

Post by Franklin97355 »

Just to be sure could you post pictures of the soldering you did? Sounds like a bad shield but there might be something we spot that will fix it.

BF72

Post by BF72 »

Thanks for the fast reply, here are photos.

(By the way, this project is to log photos from your Weatherproof Camera, hence the the voltage divider on pin 0).

- Ben
IMG_4886.JPG
IMG_4886.JPG (295.84 KiB) Viewed 625 times
IMG_4885.JPG
IMG_4885.JPG (331.76 KiB) Viewed 625 times

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

I don't see anything obvious there. Email [email protected] with a link to this thread for a replacement shield. Test it before you solder any extra parts on just to be sure.

BF72

Post by BF72 »

Many thanks.

edgarandu

Post by edgarandu »

Hello

I'm building a project in which I want to measure the inclinations and save the data in the datalogger. Now I am in the testing stage. Today when I went to check the SD card data was damaged.
Why did this happen?
What can make the card is damaged?

Regards

RGpacmob

Post by RGpacmob »

I am running into this same issue as BF72. Sounds like the same scenario. Brand new sd card shield, going through the step by step tutorial for the shield/logger. I am using the shield with an Uno R3. I soldered the headers to the shield, but i do not have any other components soldered on yet, just wanted to check out the rtc and sd card functions before getting to that. Did I miss something... am I supposed to make any other connections other than the headers for the sd card to work?
The rtc works and I get serial coms when running the rtc example sketch. When I run the cardinfo sketch i get the prompt that it did not initialize and to check the wiring, formatting, chip select. I have the chipselect set to 10, I first used a few sd cards that i thought were formatted correctly, and got same message, then formatted them using the SD card format software (link in adafruit sd shield tutorial), same result. Curious thing is that the little led next to the card slot labeled "sd" does not light up ever. I would have thought that would light up when it was checking the card to initialize.
It seems like a hardware issue to me, but,,, maybe I missed something in the initial setup, please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Thanks
rg

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

Could you post large (less than 1meg), clear, detailed pictures of both sides of your board showing any soldering you have done and the connections to it? Also what code are you running and is it uploading OK?

RGpacmob

Post by RGpacmob »

I may have figured out the problem. I bought two of the same sd shields and had only tried out the first one. I thought maybe the second one would not have the same problem, so was going to solder headers on it and try it out. When I opened up bag, I see that there was a 2x3 header in the bag. I assume that that was for the spi socket. I looked through the instructions for setting up the shield and didn't see that the spi headers were used, but the shield pictured was a rev a and these shields are rev b. I installed 2x3 header socket and got both of my shields working.
Does that sound right? I have not logged anything to the sd card yet, but cardinfo works, and I see the sd led lighting up when it should.

I will snap pictures of both sides of shields and post them.

Thanks for looking at this with me!

rg

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”