Standalone AVR Chip Programmer - Upload code on Arduino V1.0

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
rossco_s

Standalone AVR Chip Programmer - Upload code on Arduino V1.0

Post by rossco_s »

Hi,
I have a Standalone AVR Chip Programmer thats been sitting in my parts box for some time and I want to use it to burn some bootloaders.

If I use it as specified in the ArduinoISP, it works, but I want it to be standalone.

When following the Standalone guide, if I try compiling the AdaLoader sketch in Arduino version 1.8.5 I get the following:

Code: Select all

/root/Arduino/AdaLoader/AdaLoader.ino: In function 'void loop()':
/root/Arduino/AdaLoader/AdaLoader.ino:82:27: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to 'char*' [-Wwrite-strings]
     error("Signature fail");
                           ^
/root/Arduino/AdaLoader/AdaLoader.ino:84:23: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to 'char*' [-Wwrite-strings]
     error("Image fail");
                       ^
/root/Arduino/AdaLoader/AdaLoader.ino:89:35: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to 'char*' [-Wwrite-strings]
     error("Programming Fuses fail");
                                   ^
/root/Arduino/AdaLoader/AdaLoader.ino:92:35: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to 'char*' [-Wwrite-strings]
     error("Failed to verify fuses");
                                   ^
/root/Arduino/AdaLoader/AdaLoader.ino:113:36: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to 'char*' [-Wwrite-strings]
    error("Flash programming failed");
                                    ^
/root/Arduino/AdaLoader/AdaLoader.ino:121:35: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to 'char*' [-Wwrite-strings]
     error("Programming Fuses fail");
                                   ^
/root/Arduino/AdaLoader/AdaLoader.ino:128:34: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to 'char*' [-Wwrite-strings]
     error("Failed to verify chip");
                                  ^
/root/Arduino/AdaLoader/AdaLoader.ino:134:35: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to 'char*' [-Wwrite-strings]
     error("Failed to verify fuses");
                                   ^
/tmp/ccTbQny2.ltrans0.ltrans.o: In function `start_pmode()':
/root/Arduino/AdaLoader/AdaLoader.ino:170: undefined reference to `spi_transaction(unsigned char, unsigned char, unsigned char, unsigned char)'
/tmp/ccTbQny2.ltrans0.ltrans.o: In function `setup':
/root/Arduino/AdaLoader/AdaLoader.ino:51: undefined reference to `pulse(int, int)'
/root/Arduino/AdaLoader/AdaLoader.ino:53: undefined reference to `pulse(int, int)'
/tmp/ccTbQny2.ltrans0.ltrans.o: In function `loop':
/root/Arduino/AdaLoader/AdaLoader.ino:81: undefined reference to `readSignature()'
/root/Arduino/AdaLoader/AdaLoader.ino:83: undefined reference to `findImage(unsigned int)'
/root/Arduino/AdaLoader/AdaLoader.ino:86: undefined reference to `eraseChip()'
/root/Arduino/AdaLoader/AdaLoader.ino:88: undefined reference to `programFuses(unsigned char const*)'
/root/Arduino/AdaLoader/AdaLoader.ino:91: undefined reference to `verifyFuses(unsigned char const*, unsigned char const*)'
/root/Arduino/AdaLoader/AdaLoader.ino:105: undefined reference to `readImagePage(unsigned char*, unsigned int, unsigned char, unsigned char*)'
/root/Arduino/AdaLoader/AdaLoader.ino:112: undefined reference to `flashPage(unsigned char*, unsigned int, unsigned char)'
/root/Arduino/AdaLoader/AdaLoader.ino:120: undefined reference to `programFuses(unsigned char const*)'
/root/Arduino/AdaLoader/AdaLoader.ino:127: undefined reference to `verifyImage(unsigned char*)'
/root/Arduino/AdaLoader/AdaLoader.ino:133: undefined reference to `verifyFuses(unsigned char const*, unsigned char const*)'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
exit status 1
Error compiling for board Arduino Duemilanove or Diecimila.

If I try using Arduino 1.0 or Arduino 0023 I get the following message:

./arduino: 22: ./arduino: java: not found
Which is weird because I don't have arduino 0022.

rossco_s

Re: Standalone AVR Chip Programmer - Upload code on Arduino

Post by rossco_s »

Can anyone help me with this problem?

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

Can you post some pictures of the programmer and its connections?

rossco_s

Post by rossco_s »

IMG_20171219_232256815_HDR.jpg
IMG_20171219_232256815_HDR.jpg (106.38 KiB) Viewed 482 times
Here is a photo.
It worked last time I used it, although that was quite some time ago.

The problem seems to be with the software side of things.

rossco_s

Post by rossco_s »

I just tried installing Arduino using apt-get package manager in Ubuntu. I still got some minor compile errors:

images.cpp:3:17: error: variable ‘image_328’ must be const in order to be put into read-only section by means of ‘__attribute__((progmem))’
 image_t PROGMEM image_328 = {
                 ^
When I made image_t a const it compiled.

Would I be correct to assume that if I upload the code to a Uno and use the https://learn.adafruit.com/standalone-a ... r/assembly to program the bootloader that I would then be burning Uno bootloaders?

I have a sneaking suspicion that since the Optiloader code is quite old ( ~5 years) that it may well be a Duemilanove. Would that be unfounded?

rossco_s

Post by rossco_s »

I just tried burning the bootloader onto a fresh ATmega328P-PU. I double checked the orientation, locked the chip in and pressed the button.

The red LED immediately came on and the buzzer sounded continuously. I had to unplug the Arduino to stop the buzzer.

I'm not sure how to proceed now. It would be great if an Adafruit moderator could chime in.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”