HelloRobot.ino
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

HelloRobot.ino

by IWex on Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:23 pm

Where can i find the this program? It is supposed to be downloadable from Adafruit as part of the AFmotor library but searching the Adafruit site for it doesn't bring it up. I have had a great deal of trouble (failed, really) using the Arduino Libraries sub-menu to add .zip files as 'contributed libraries' to my sketches. The files don't appear or the compiler doesn't recognize my #include <.....> statements as valid.

IWex

Re: HelloRobot.ino

by kcl1s on Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:05 am

Just a fellow hobbyist here.
I don't think that sketch is an example in that library. A Google search shows a sketch with that name here https://github.com/j0hnds/sketchbook/blob/master/HelloRobot/HelloRobot.ino.

I guess you know this is a library for a board no longer made by Adafruit. They have a V2 motor shield that uses a different library https://www.adafruit.com/product/1438 so if you got a motor shield from Adafruit recently you need this library https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_Motor_Shield_V2_Library. If you have an Imported knockoff then stick with the old AFmotor library.

As far a managing libraries Adafruit has a great guide for that here https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-all-about-arduino-libraries-install-use

Good luck
Keith

kcl1s

by adafruit_support_bill on Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:59 am

HelloRobot.ino is not one of the AFMotor library examples. All of the examples are .pde files. Support for the V1 shield and AFMotor library were discontinued long before .ino files existed.

adafruit_support_bill

by IWex on Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:06 pm

Thank you all for your help. One further question regarding adding a file to my Arduino sketchbook library. It says "add a .zip file" - does this mean the file should actually be a compressed file or should it first be unzipped, then pasted into library via Windows File explorer. I have tried both ways and either it doesn't appear when I re-open Arduino or isn't recognized as a valid library when I compile.
Thanks again for your willingness to clear up my confusion.

IWex

by adafruit_support_bill on Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:12 pm

You will need to unzip the library and paste the whole folder structure into the "Libraries" folder inside your sketchbook folder.

adafruit_support_bill

by kcl1s on Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:31 pm

For Windows computers it works like this. If you use add .zip you leave them zipped and most times they are correctly added, but if you do it manually you un-zip first. Libraries other than those that come with the IDE are stored in a folder called libraries inside your Arduino folder inside your Documents folder Documents/Arduino/libraries. A library folder has to have the exact same spelling and case as the .h and .cpp files inside. Github adds -master to library folder names. The folder has to be renamed before manually moving them to the library folder.

Keith

kcl1s

by franklin97355 on Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:53 pm

I have found in newer versions of the IDE the folder and file names don't need to match but the IDE does not like dashes (-) in the folder names. I usually rename my folders to match the files inside but not always.

franklin97355

by IWex on Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:44 pm

Thank you, all.
I'll get this damn thing to work...eventually.

IWex

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.