Connecting a 6-wire stepper motor to the motor shield
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Connecting a 6-wire stepper motor to the motor shield

by corpuscallosum on Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:16 am

Hi,
I am an electronics beginner that just completed my motor shield and would like to connect the 6-wire stepper motor that came with my motor kit.

However, the documentation online (http://www.ladyada.net/make/mshield/use.html) only covers 4 and 5 wire stepper motors.

How does one connect a 6-wire stepper motor to the motor shield? I want to make sure that I'm doing it right so as not to cause damage to my board or my motor. Thank you!

corpuscallosum

Re: Connecting a 6-wire stepper motor to the motor shield

by adafruit_support_bill on Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:10 am

This link shows the differences between 4, 5 & 6 wire motors: http://www.piclist.com/techref/io/stepper/wires.htm

If you can find the two commons, connect them together to make it a 5 wire motor.

adafruit_support_bill

by corpuscallosum on Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:19 pm

Thanks!
So, I've reverse-engineered the motor using this tutorial from makingthings: http://www.makingthings.com/documentati ... pper-motor

On my 6-wire motor (PF35T-48L4, 20 ohm, Japan) it turned out that the red and green wires are the center taps.

My next question: The adafruit tutorial says to connect the center taps to GND. Is ground the center port between the two motor ports on the right side of the shield? (M3 and M4). Can I connect the center taps there? I also see two other ports on the shield that are labeled as GND, one on the left side between M1 and M2, and one on the bottom of the board (the right side of the external power port). Does it matter which I use?

Thank you.

corpuscallosum

by adafruit on Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:44 pm

adafruit

by corpuscallosum on Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:50 pm

Ha, perfect, thank you!!! :)

corpuscallosum

by corpuscallosum on Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:37 pm

Ok so I've hooked everything up as described on that page, but I'm still getting no response from the motor. I've uploaded a photo, you can see I'm attaching the motor to M1 and M2, with the wires in the correct order (brown - black - red&green - yellow - orange).

Photo 60.jpg
Photo 60.jpg (118.3 KiB) Viewed 11263 times

I'm using an external DC power supply, set to 9v, with a max 500ma current. The board is getting quite warm when the power supply is hooked up to it.

And I am using the sample code from the documentation:

Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
#include <AFMotor.h>

AF_Stepper motor(48, 1);

void setup() {
  Serial.begin(9600);           // set up Serial library at 9600 bps
  Serial.println("Stepper test!");

motor.setSpeed(10);  // 10 rpm   

motor.step(100, FORWARD, SINGLE);
  motor.release();
  delay(1000);
}

void loop() {
  motor.step(100, FORWARD, SINGLE);
  motor.step(100, BACKWARD, SINGLE);

motor.step(100, FORWARD, DOUBLE);
  motor.step(100, BACKWARD, DOUBLE);

motor.step(100, FORWARD, INTERLEAVE);
  motor.step(100, BACKWARD, INTERLEAVE);

motor.step(100, FORWARD, MICROSTEP);
  motor.step(100, BACKWARD, MICROSTEP);
}

Any ideas for what I could be doing wrong or how to troubleshoot would be much appreciated! Perhaps the motor is not being supplied the right power? The LED light on the motor shield is not going on either, though the servos are working fine when I test those...thanks.

corpuscallosum

by adafruit on Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:56 pm

see: http://www.ladyada.net/make/mshield/faq.html
What is the LED for?

The LED indicates motor power. If it is not lit, then the DC/Stepper motors will not run. The servo ports are 5V powered and does not use the DC motor supply

read through the user manual and dont bother with anything else until the LED lights up

adafruit

by corpuscallosum on Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:05 pm

adafruit wrote: dont bother with anything else until the LED lights up

OK, any idea why the LED is not lighting up... as in what steps I can take to find the source of the problem?
I am going to start doing a continuity check on the circuit... wish me luck.

corpuscallosum

by adafruit on Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:16 pm

If the LED is not lit, there is no DC power. read the user manual for the different ways to connect up DC power

adafruit

by corpuscallosum on Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:57 am

adafruit wrote:read the user manual for the different ways to connect up DC power

I have been using an external DC power supply, set to 9v, with a max 500ma current. I am able to run the servos directly off the DC power, without the usb connection... so I know the DC supply is working, but the high-voltage power isn't reaching the non-servo motor ports... is there something I am missing? Hope this makes sense.

The board is getting quite warm when the power supply is hooked up to it.

corpuscallosum

by adafruit_support_bill on Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:33 am

I have been using an external DC power supply, set to 9v, with a max 500ma current.

Conected to what? The Arduino or the external DC terminals of the motor shield?

I am able to run the servos directly off the DC power, without the usb connection... so I know the DC supply is working, but the high-voltage power isn't reaching the non-servo motor ports...

The servos run off the Arduino regulated supply, so if you have power to the Arduino, you will have power to the servos, but not necessarily to the rest of the motor shield.

If you still have it configured as in the photo, there is no connection to the external power terminals on your motor board and the jumper appears to be off so the Arduino supply is not connected either.

The board is getting quite warm when the power supply is hooked up to it.

What part of what board?

adafruit_support_bill

by corpuscallosum on Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:27 pm

This is from the documentation:
There are two places you can get your motor 'high voltage supply' from. One is the DC jack on the Arduino board and the other is the 2-terminal block on the shield that is labeled EXT_PWR.

If you would like to have a single DC power supply for the Arduino and motors, simply plug it into the DC jack on the Arduino or the 2-pin PWR_EXT block on the shield.

http://www.ladyada.net/make/mshield/use.html

This seems to indicate that the motors can be powered from the DC jack on the Arduino. Is the documentation wrong?

So, if I wire up the power to the PWR_EXT block on the shield, will that also power the Arduino board, or will I have to have a power supply for the Arduino board as well?

Also, I am planning on using an old cell-phone charger to supply power to the shield. It's output is 5v and 850mA. Will that work?
I don't know much about how amplitude works, and I am afraid to fry the board. Thanks and Happy New Year!

corpuscallosum

by adafruit on Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:16 pm

If you would like to have a single DC power supply for the Arduino and motors, simply plug it into the DC jack on the Arduino or the 2-pin PWR_EXT block on the shield. Place the power jumper on the motor shield.
If you have a Diecimila Arduino, set the Arduino power source jumper to EXT.
Note that you may have problems with Arduino resets if the battery supply is not able to provide constant power, and it is not a suggested way of powering your motor project

If you would like to have the Arduino powered off of USB and the motors powered off of a DC power supply, plug in the USB cable. Then connect the motor supply to the PWR_EXT block on the shield. Do not place the jumper on the shield. This is a suggested method of powering your motor project
(If you have a Diecimila Arduino, don't forget to set the Arduino power jumper to USB. If you have a Diecimila, you can alternately do the following: plug the DC power supply into the Arduino, and place the jumper on the motor shield.)

If you would like to have 2 seperate DC power supplies for the Arduino and motors. Plug in the supply for the Arduino into the DC jack, and connect the motor supply to the PWR_EXT block. Make sure the jumper is removed from the motor shield.
If you have a Diecimila Arduino, set the Arduino jumper to EXT. This is a suggested method of powering your motor project

please read through all of the usage page, there is all the information you need :)

adafruit

by corpuscallosum on Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:06 pm

If you would like to have a single DC power supply for the Arduino and motors, simply plug it into the DC jack on the Arduino or the 2-pin PWR_EXT block on the shield. Place the power jumper on the motor shield.
If you have a Diecimila Arduino, set the Arduino power source jumper to EXT.

What does it mean to "place the power jumper on the motor shield."

I am using a Duemilanove which does not have a power jumper. Is it possible to have a single power supply for the Arduino and shield with a Duemilanove through the power jack?

The Duemilanove automatically selects the appropriate power source (USB or external adaptor), eliminating the need for a power selection jumper.
http://arduino.cc/blog/?p=97

I'm asking because I bought a power supply and in order to connect it to the EXT_PWR, I would have to clip and strip the chord which I would really rather not do if it is not necessary as it would prevent me from using it in other applications. Thanks.

corpuscallosum

by adafruit_support_bill on Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:53 pm

What does it mean to "place the power jumper on the motor shield."
I am using a Duemilanove which does not have a power jumper.

It is not on the Duemilanove. It is on the motor shield. There is only one jumper on the shield (labled "PWR"). That is the external power jumper. The jumper should be removed and your external supply should be connected to the EXT_PWR terminals on the motor shield.

Is it possible to have a single power supply for the Arduino and shield with a Duemilanove through the power jack?

Yes it is, by placing the above mentioned power jumper. But please note that your motors will be drawing from Arduino supply which may not be capable of handling the load. DC motors are electrically noisy and have startup peak loads that can easily cause the Arduino to reset. A separate supply for the motor shield is HIGHLY recommended.

in order to connect it to the EXT_PWR, I would have to clip and strip the chord which I would really rather not do

Buy a mating connector for your supply and connect that to the EXT_PWR ternimals.

adafruit_support_bill

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.