Adafruit Industries, Essential service and business: NYC – Executive Order 202.6 - Read more. Accepting essential orders - here's how.

Possible design issue with Arduino proto shield
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Possible design issue with Arduino proto shield

by Penguin_fach on Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:33 am

I recently bought an Adafruit proto shield (marked V6 on the board encode) for a project and I have encountered a couple of issues with using mounting holes. My application subjects the boards to some vibration so I need to use spacers and screws to make sure the boards stay firmly together. The issues are as follows.

The hole at the end of the board is smaller than the Arduino hole so either an M2.5 screw must be used or the hole drilled out to match the Arduino. This has to be done with care to avoid damaging the track on the bottom of the board and metal spacers can't be used.

The hole adjacent to the I2C pins is misaligned, being too close to the pins by about 1mm. The inclusion of the I2C pins adjacent to the hole on the Arduino has already made mounting difficult and they should really have looked at this with later board releases . The error on the Adafruit board only compounds mounting alignment issues.

DSCN2065-edit.jpg
DSCN2065-edit.jpg (234.81 KiB) Viewed 36 times

It is still possible to ensure adequate alignment with M2.5 screws though this has to be done with care but mounting with M3 and spacers is highly problematic.

Penguin_fach

Re: Possible design issue with Arduino proto shield

by adafruit_support_bill on Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:49 am

Thanks for the feedback. I will forward that to the design team.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Possible design issue with Arduino proto shield

by adafruit2 on Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:07 pm

the hole is offset - we just checked and will fix on next PCB order.
the hole size, however, is larger than the official docs - which is 0.125" (the shield hole is 0.126")?
https://blog.arduino.cc/2011/01/05/nice ... mega-2560/

adafruit2
Site Admin

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.